Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

DAB radio innards for a vintage re-make

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I LOVE vintage wirelesses and radios! They are so beautifully designed and just YUM! But I also LOVE BBC 6Music - which is a DAB radio station.

I've been looking to see if theres any DAB build-your-own-radio kits, but I haven't come across any as yet. I guess the alternative is pulling apart my current one and giving it a go - I haven't a clue what I'm doing really! I know my way around a circuit board, and I can follow a schematic, but I guess the issue I'm worrying about is placement of buttons. I'm not too worried about having to drill new holes and add new buttons but I'm a bit worried I'm just going to fuck up a bit of beautiful vintage kitch and the radio (which I'm less concerned about because I can just use my TV if I have to).

Any suggestions, oh wonderful and knowledgable community of the site??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know exactly what you mean, I love retro and taking stuff apart, trouble is it rarely goes back together again for me :crazyeyes - how about a ready made version like this Ruark R2i dab radio, comes in retro walnut wood finish too :yes:
    i don't have a suggestion of how to build or what ever.. i don't do any of that, but i love the radio- and i actually have gone 1 further than a DAB

what i have is, an internet radio from robbertsons- and you can listen to anything.

i've over 400 stations aded on mine, most of them american stations, it also has an FM radio, a DAB, and it has a connection to last.fm

it's a neat peace of kit!- not to mention you never get tired of 1 station when you can always have new ones
    Hi lady Emily, internet radio is probably the way to go yes, much better for home use where you have a wifi or internet connection.:thumb: I love last.fm also, great way to find new artists and music you would never otherwise hear!
    phycomp wrote: »
    Hi lady Emily, internet radio is probably the way to go yes, much better for home use where you have a wifi or internet connection.:thumb: I love last.fm also, great way to find new artists and music you would never otherwise hear!

i mainly like using it to find artists that are like someone else.

for example: i like torie amos

so i go to google, and type in, artists like torie amos.. and usually the first page on the top is the last.fm one

very useful