Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film Club: February Nominations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The theme is LBGT History Month, so get your nominating caps on.

The format for nominating is

"Film Title" (Cert)

[Video embed of trailer]

Reason for Nominating

Go Go Go!!! Nominations close in one week
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kinky Boots (12a)
    synopsis wrote:
    A drag queen comes to the rescue of a man who, after inheriting his father's shoe factory, needs to diversify his product if he wants to keep the business afloat.

Very funny heartwarming film about the practical side of being a transvestite.
    Rent - 2005- (12A)

from IMDB: This is the film version of the Pulitzer and Tony Award winning musical about Bohemians in the East Village of New York City struggling with life, love and AIDS, and the impacts they have on America.

Reason for nomination: Funny, sad and a great musical

Beautiful Thing- 1996 - (15)

from IMBD: In a suburb of London, young Jamie is escaping sport hours, to avoid being the victim of his comrades. Young Ste, his neighbor, is beaten by his father, and comes to sleep overnight. They discover new feelings, sleeping in the same bed.

Reason for nomination: Love this film.. it was on film4 recently if anyone managed to catch it. Got some recognisable faces in it and it's a british film innit...

Milk - 2008 - (15)

from IMDB: The story of Harvey Milk, and his struggles as an American gay activist who fought for gay rights and became California's first openly gay elected official.

Reason for nomination: Sean Penn does gooooood. Harvey Milk was beyond inspiring.
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    The Birdcage (PG) -I think

A gay cabaret owner and his drag queen companion agree to put up a false straight front so that their son can introduce them to his fiancée's right-wing moralistic parents.

Really funny. Robin Williams is out-standing, but then he always is.
    I love The Birdcage :)

BUMPAGE
    But I'm a Cheerleader(15)

Synopsis: (from Wikipedia)
    But I'm a Cheerleader is a 1999 satirical romantic comedy film directed by Jamie Babbit and written by Brian Wayne Peterson. Natasha Lyonne stars as Megan Bloomfield, an apparently happy heterosexual high school cheerleader. However, her friends and family are convinced that she is a homosexual and arrange an intervention, sending her to a residential inpatient conversion therapy camp to cure her lesbianism. There Megan soon realizes that she is indeed a lesbian and, despite the therapy, gradually comes to embrace her sexual orientation.
    Boys don't cry (18)

"The story of the life of Brandon Teena, a transgendered teen who preferred life in a male identity until it was discovered he was born biologically female."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171804/?ref_=sr_1

Reason for nomination: Hilary Swank couldn't be more amazing in her character, its based on real life story and honestly, I ended up crying while watching this movie. Too emotional, too touching just awesome.
    Any more for any more? Only a few more days to nominate. I don't see any rocky horror...
    Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (15)

Synopsis: Invited to perform in Alice Springs, in the centre of Australia, three drag performers set out from Sydney in an old bus.

Reason for nomination: It's a really good comedy - cracking one-liners - that also gives insight into the prejudice faced by the LGBT community in Australia in the 1990s (and still today). The difficulties of forming, and keeping, relationships, and of how to handle prejudice and discrimination are explored in poignant detail.
    Peter's Friends (15)

Synopsis: After the death of his father, Peter (Stephen Fry) invites his university friends to come and stay with him for the weekend. Ten years after they left Cambridge, how will they relate to one another? What have they left in common?

Reason for nomination: Along with Priscilla, this is one of my mum's and my favourite films, but it's still pretty obscure. Terrific cast, brilliant script, fantastic soundtrack.
    A Single Man - (2009)- 12A

from imdb: An English professor, one year after the sudden death of his boyfriend, is unable to cope with his typical days in 1960s Los Angeles.
    A Single Man - (2009)- 12A

:heart: This would also be a good one for book-film crossover if it misses out this time.
    piccolo wrote: »
    But I'm a Cheerleader(15)

Synopsis: (from Wikipedia)
    But I'm a Cheerleader is a 1999 satirical romantic comedy film directed by Jamie Babbit and written by Brian Wayne Peterson. Natasha Lyonne stars as Megan Bloomfield, an apparently happy heterosexual high school cheerleader. However, her friends and family are convinced that she is a homosexual and arrange an intervention, sending her to a residential inpatient conversion therapy camp to cure her lesbianism. There Megan soon realizes that she is indeed a lesbian and, despite the therapy, gradually comes to embrace her sexual orientation.

This this this omg, i love this film.
    I'm not in the film club, so I don't know if I'm allowed to nominate, but here's a suggestion anyway:

Happy Together by Wong Kar-wai
    Happy Together is a 1997 Hong Kong film directed by Wong Kar-wai, starring Leslie Cheung and Tony Leung Chiu-Wai, that depicts a turbulent romance between two men.

The film received positive reviews from several film festivals, including a win for Best Director at the 1997 Cannes Film Festival.

Wikipedia

Wong Kar-wai is one of the best directors around and this was directed right in the middle of his best period, so it's most likely worth a watch.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I'm not in the film club, so I don't know if I'm allowed to nominate, but here's a suggestion anyway:

Happy Together by Wong Kar-wai

Wikipedia

Wong Kar-wai is one of the best directors around and this was directed right in the middle of his best period, so it's most likely worth a watch.

The film club isn't closed or exclusive - anyone can get involved at any time - think of it as more of a 'film pub' ;)
    Yup yup! Glad to have you I'm with stupid!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    My Beautiful Launderette

1985 - 15
    An ambitious Asian Briton and his white lover strive for success and hope, when they open up a glamorous laundromat.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091578/
    Keep them coming! I close nominations tomorrow!
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show (15)
    Synopsis wrote:
    A newly engaged couple have a breakdown in an isolated area and must pay a call to the bizarre residence of Dr. Frank-N-Furter.

Reason: well... can't not can we??
    Yay Rocky Horror!

I'm not in the club but can I throw in a few? Sorry if they've already been nominated/done in the past.

Pulp Fiction (1994)
    Synopsis: The lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits intertwine in four tales of violence and redemption.

Reason: This has been one of my favourite films for years, I love the non linear story telling and the music. All the characters are amazing too.

Shallow Grave (1994)
    Synopsis: Three friends discover their new flatmate dead but loaded with cash.

Reason: This is a recent discovery, Danny Boyles first film which kick started Ewan McGregor and Christopher Ecclestons careers. Very dark but interesting about how money can bring out the worst in people. Also there's a nod towards this in Trainspotting as the guy who plays Hugo is the Heroin Dealer they meet in London, and as this is set in the early 90's and Trainspotting the late 80's there is suggestion it's the same character.

Because I've mentioned it....
    Trainspotting (1996)

Synopsis: Renton, deeply immersed in the Edinburgh drug scene, tries to clean up and get out, despite the allure of the drugs and influence of friends.

Reason: One of my favourite films, perfectly cast and the soundtrack is one of the best ever film soundtracks in my opinion. It manages to be hilarious, disgusting and tragic all at the same time.
    I'm so rubbish! Nominations are closed this round, and I forgot to say. Voting is open. But please please play with us anyway.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Because I've mentioned it....
    Trainspotting (1996)

Synopsis: Renton, deeply immersed in the Edinburgh drug scene, tries to clean up and get out, despite the allure of the drugs and influence of friends.

Reason: One of my favourite films, perfectly cast and the soundtrack is one of the best ever film soundtracks in my opinion. It manages to be hilarious, disgusting and tragic all at the same time.

Just to reiterate Helen, you don't have to be "in" film or book club to nominate.

And next month we're planning to join up the two to do "Film-of-the-Book club", nominations will probably open v. shortly. (Trainspotting would be ideal, based on the book by Irvine Welsh.)

Like Fiend says, please stay involved, we love it :D
    Aye!