Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Volunteering Roles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello..

Just thought I would post a thread about my volunteering experiences.

I have been a volunteer leader for TheSite, for about 5 months, and it has been amazing.
I have been given the opportunity to attend a weekender, I learnt so much from this opportunity and gained a lot of confidence, from the weekender.
I am looking forward to the next one. I love being a member on leaders network.
I sometimes struggle with posting discussions and getting my ideas out, but everybody on the network are very accepting and understanding, and a lovely bunch of people.

I recently signed up to volunteer for another organization that is for young people with disabilities. And as a volunteer, I befriend one of the members, and do social activities with them. I am currently a volunteer for a bowling group that a group of young people go to.
I had my first session at bowling today and loved it. I will eventually move onto doing 1-1 activities with the young person that I am paired up with. But as I am new to the role I am going to be doing the group activities until I feel a bit more comfortable. The young people inspire me, they don't give up and are happy and carry on, enjoying themselves..
I truly believe that just because somebody has a disability it doesn't mean they can't enjoy themselves and be happy and do social activities.
This is what the organization that I am volunteering is aimed at helping young people get out and enjoy social activities. And also to make friendships.

I have also signed up to be a volunteer for Age UK, this role I found out about by Josephine at the last leaders weekender. I was interested in this role and signed up straight away when I had the details. I will hopefully be starting soon. I am going to be helping older people learn about using technology, to help them feel less isolated. I am excited about this role, because I feel like that just because they are old people they still should be aware of things like skype, using computers,phones Because everything nowadays is online, people use computers, phones to contact people, not many people use a paper and pen anymore. Its very sad how older people feel, when they feel isolated because they can't necessarily contact people they care about. So I am looking forward to this role.

I never thought I would have the confidence to do anything like these volunteering roles, I have been given the chance to go to London, which again I never thought I would be able to do. I cannot thank the people enough who have given me these volunteering opportunities. I love being able to help others.

One day I woke up and decided that I wanted to make a difference, and gain experiences while being able to do what I love, helping others.

So I decided that volunteering was something that I really wanted to do, and never looked back ever since.

Sorry about the long thread.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is no need to apologise for a long thread. It sounds like you have really gotten into your volunteering which is awesome. Well done for all you have achieved and good luck for all the great things you are going to manage in the future :)
    hahaha I always feel bad writing a long thread, like people wont read it.

Thank you so muchly :) I am enjoying it, just enjoying being able to help others, and give something back :)

Just thought I would share my experiences
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Wow, you've done a lot of volunteering opportunities, it's quiet inspirational to read, I'm glad it's helped boost your confidence, it's always lovely to meet new people, I applies for quiet a few placements, but I often find college getting in the way, as it finishes between 4:15 and 5:15, which then consumes time, but I'm glad your enjoying your placements Claire :)

*hug*'s

Angel :heart:
    Thank you :)

Yeah I thought I would find it really hard to be able to fit volunteering into working full time, Monday to Friday. However with the leaders I can Volunteer in my own time, and it's done online, and also I can still attend weekenders :)

And the other volunteering that I started yesterday is weekends and evenings, :) They are flexible with my working hours.

I hope things work out with you Angel, with regards to volunteering. Its so worthwhile I love it :)
    I'm sure someone mod like will be along with a better description - but if people are looking for volunteering opportunities, thesite has a sister site called www.do-it.org.uk which has loads of information about volunteering opportunities.

There's almost always a way of fitting it in around your other commitments.
    Yeah I found out about volunteering through do-it.org, for friends for leisure, the one I started yesterday. Its a great site. And as you say there is always pretty much a way of fitting things around other things in your life, work,college etc. I haven't had any problems fitting it around my working hours at all. The organization has been very flexible. :)
    Thought I would give an update on how volunteering is going. Its going really well. I am gaining confidence each time I go. I love it. :)
    Would love to hear if anybody has any volunteering experiences they wanna share :)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    Thought I would give an update on how volunteering is going. Its going really well. I am gaining confidence each time I go. I love it. :)
    Would love to hear if anybody has any volunteering experiences they wanna share :)

I used to volunteer at a playgroup. They couldn't afford for me to have a CRB check so I didn't have to do stuff like change nappies, which was a definite plus. It was great because the children loved me since I was the only person there with time to give them special attention (not the playgroup's fault, they were painfully underfunded and understaffed), and most of them didn't get much at home either. It made me genuinely happy because I know I made a big difference to the life of one little boy in particular, so it worked out well both ways.
    I've recently started volunteering with 'Guides' I also do a volunteering placement at a Primary School with Year 1's, very enjoyable :) I've done a fair bit of volunteering in the past to :)
    Brilliant to hear about your volunteering grace and Angel :) you should both be very proud of yourselves :)
    Volunteering is so rewarding. <3

**Angel** wrote: »
    I've recently started volunteering with 'Guides' I also do a volunteering placement at a Primary School with Year 1's, very enjoyable :) I've done a fair bit of volunteering in the past to :)

What kind of volunteering are you doing with them? I used to be in the scouts many years ago and loved every minute, but I was more a part of them rather than volunteering.
    I've only recently started, so only had two sessions with them, which have all been involved with teaching them First Aid, and a positive thing about that is, I have my first aid training :) How about you?
    My main volunteering is with Youthnet, the magic behind TheSite. I do some things here and there with other things but they are usually just giving a friend a hand, and one off things.
    I do and have done quite a bit of volunteering.

I currently volunteer as a Trust Fundraiser for YouthNet the charity behind thesite and do a couple of other things for them too. I'm away from the office at the moment though as my health has not been good recently but hope to go back soon.

I knit warm things like scarves and hats for the local homeless shelter in Winter. I like doing this as I can do it even when I am quite ill as I do it from home.

Also tonight I sent an enquiry to the guides to be an adult helper, I wasn't a guide but I really like arts and crafts and young people so thought I'd be good at this.

I have also volunteered with the homeless (Salvation Army), the church (Salvation Army), the physically disabled (winged fellowship - holidays for disabled, it's changed it's name now), tutoring / teaching at an afterschool club for disadvantaged kids, volunteer teaching assistant in Brazil on a favela (through GAP activities projects - changed name now though), volunteer at a crehe on a favela (getting covered in food and puke generally), volunteered at a religious craft club thing in Brazil (through the Salvation Army), volunteered for the Salvation Army following a fire in Brazil doing general stuff (like feeding the now homeless families, showering the kids), volunteer at childrens camp a couple of times, also I volunteered for my local Oxfam shop for a year. Voluntered doing admin for 6 months at Marie Curie hospice. I'm sure I've done some other things I've forgotten about.
    Really liking reading all about what you guys have been doing with your volunteering :)

Keep up the brilliant work :)