Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Where to affordably get furniture for first place

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering if anyone had tips. I like ideas stuff but even just for. A bed, sofa, and a couple of other bits you're looking north of a grand which is going to be painful. (could get it on credit but I don't like borrowing)

Any good suggestions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    freecycle, local secondhand shops.

we got a lot of things from friends and family. just put it out there that you're moving and would be grateful for spare furniture. you'll be surprised.
    eBay, freecycle, gumtree, friends and family. I think the only thing I've had to buy recently is a bed.

I need to get some of my stuff on gumtree or ebay I think. Can't take everything in my house to London...
    I don't have any friends D: lol.

You're moving to London Arctic? :-)

I don't mind paying for bits and free cycle always seems to be thousands of beggars after anything vs the one or two giving tat away. Just wish there was something like a refurbished furniture exchange or something. Maybe I'll start one.
    we got a lot of things from friends and family. just put it out there that you're moving and would be grateful for spare furniture. you'll be surprised.

Definitely true! You won't win any interior design prizes, but loads of people have stuff they want rid of.

Some Ikea stuff is really cheap (except beds/sofas).

And sometimes charities have a dedicated furniture shop. Our local Heart Foundation one gets some lovely stuff in.

I have written 'stuff' a lot here.
    freecycle can be like that but you're much more likely to get responses if you make your ad look serious and say that you have access to a car/van so can easily pick up and take away. most people just want rid of stuff for the extra space.

i have heard of places like secondhand furniture exchanges, i dont know what area you live in but try googling. there are also quite a few secondhand furniture charity shops opening. i think the ymca have a few going
    I got two three seater sofas delivered for 300 from british heart foundation charity shop...
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I got two three seater sofas delivered for 300 from british heart foundation charity shop...

Sweet! I think we would only need a modest 3 seater / large 2 seater. I didn't even know charity shops did furniture.

For beds I am guessing frames second hand mattress new, right?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

Yeah they do really nice stuff in their speciality home and electrical shops. My one-day-gf-in-my-dreams got her three piece suite from there.

I got some stuff from my parents and my parents friends, parents friends 'lent' me my sofa (4+ years ago), tv unit etc.

I went to Ikea for most of my stuff though and have added to it since. As I don't drive I got it all on one or two trips with my Dad but if you have a vehicle then freecycle are good, ebay collection, etc.
    I do drive but I can't imagine how you would fit a bed or sofa in a car...
    Beds collapse. Sofas will fit in a big enough car, they fit in estate cars.
    I've got a sedan volvo S40 which is the worst of both worlds lol
    Van rental isn't that bad.
    There's a massive warehouse near on an industrial estate in my town full of cheap secondhand furniture, I bought a massive armchair for £8. Not saying you should come here but there's probably one where you are.
    Emmaus?
    Emmaus, auctions, charity furniture shops (mainly BHF but there are others), occasionally groupon.

Watch out with Ikea, it's often not that much cheaper than anywhere else - they've got some really cheap stuff (low price and often low quality to go with it), so don't fall into the trap of it's Ikea so it must be cheap.

Small ads.
    Card ads in shops.
    Local paper.
    Thanks guys, some great ideas. Found a furniture recycling charity near to me, they say they are for disadvantaged people only but I asked them and they said they serve everyone except landlords, a double bed delivered is 'from' £66 which isn't bad at all :-)
    Is there a BETEL charity near you. They do up old furniture and will deliver too.
    Card ads in shops.

Be VERY careful. 'Large chest for sale' will not be what you think it is :naughty:
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Be VERY careful. 'Large chest for sale' will not be what you think it is :naughty:

Speaking from experience? ;)
    Buy some roof bars for your car and you can collect even large items.
    Furniture recycling project - they deliver
    Reclaim - as do they
    Emmaus - as do they
    British heart foundation - as do they
    freecycle - really good around here
    YMCA furniture shop - they deliver too
    Car boot sales at the racecourse
    flea market on the 2nd saturday of every month near waitrose
    there is also a large dining table and 6 chairs and side board in storage I need to sell :p
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    there is also a large dining table and 6 chairs and side board in storage I need to sell :p

How large is large? :p

One thing I'm thinking I should probably buy new is a mattress right? TBH in my 25 years I've always had used mattresses whether its been inherited from an older sibling or when I moved to uni, what the room came with.

Thanks
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    How large is large? :p

One thing I'm thinking I should probably buy new is a mattress right? TBH in my 25 years I've always had used mattresses whether its been inherited from an older sibling or when I moved to uni, what the room came with.

Thanks

It's up to you, I think lots of people would find a second hand mattress a bit grim though. You could get a good quality used one though which would be better than a shitty new Ikea one or something.
    grace wrote: »
    You could get a good quality used one though which would be better than a shitty new Ikea one or something.

Ikea mattresses are actually a decent choice for most people. Unless you are very heavy or have specific medical needs, I would recommend them as a good budget option. I used to work in the furniture industry and most of the people in my office had an Ikea mattress, unless they were flush enough to afford a really high end brand, but talking in the thousands for them.

I personally would always buy a new mattress if I possibly could. Otherwise you are sleeping on a few years worth of someone else's sweat and skin. Yum ;)
    Kaff wrote: »
    I personally would always buy a new mattress if I possibly could. Otherwise you are sleeping on a few years worth of someone else's sweat and skin. Yum ;)

I think I said this to you already, but when Mum worked in beds she would always go on about how other people ruin the ergonomics of your mattress. I've never had a new mattress in my adult life, though, and I can't say I've noticed (but then I'm a rubbish sleeper!)
    piccolo wrote: »
    I think I said this to you already, but when Mum worked in beds she would always go on about how other people ruin the ergonomics of your mattress. I've never had a new mattress in my adult life, though, and I can't say I've noticed (but then I'm a rubbish sleeper!)

She's right! Although unless you were sensitive to a princess and the pea standard, I doubt most people would notice.
    It's just odd that there's such a big hooha about it, considering at any hotel you are sharing a bed with thousands essentially..
    just think of all the spunk and sex juice, and you have no idea whose it is?

most people try to keep their hotel room in good order, at home they slacken...