Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Government Cutting Costs Again(Childcare Ratios)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A friend of mine I work with posted a Facebook status about how the government want to cut costs by changing the ratios between staff and children in childcare settings.

Here is the article

For example in the room I work with now the ratio is 1:4, which means 1 member of staff could have a group of 4 children on their own. And they would be able to manage.

If the government put it into place that staff could look after more children, therefore the ratio being higher, in my opinion this isn't fair on the children, cos they wont be able to get the attention that they need and deserve, and also it could possibly put the staff under more pressure, having to cope with more children on their own.

We have ratios for a reason and also safety is a big reason, having more children to one member of staff, could potentially cause problems if there is a problem e.g. fire alarm, accidents.

I don't like the thought of this and I don't think it will benefit the children or the staff, and also I wonder how parents/carers would feel about this?

I can understand why the government want to save money, but surely there is different ways of doing it.

Anyway would be good to hear some of your thoughts.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Problem is that the article doesn't say what the Govt are recommending instead. A change to 1:5 is much less troubling than 1:10, for example.

It's also fairly rigid and subjective, 1:4. Why that and not 1:3 (for example)... what does an evidence base suggest, what about skill mix etc...
    I think it's cos nothing is set in stone yet.

Cos each room has different ratio's depending on the age of the children. E.g baby room is 1:3, the room I am in is 1:4 and the pre school room it is 1:8

what do you mean evidence base, skill mix ? :s
    I'd say it is easier for one person to look after 4 well behaved kids who like to interact with each other, rather than 2 absolute toe rags who hate each other. I can understand the problems highlighted, however some other countries seem to get along just fine.
    The children I look after in my room aren't the calmest of children, when they hit you and bite you and throw chairs at you.
    typical 2 year old children but with extra issues, hence the 2 year funding. So having the ratio higher could be challenging.

I do agree with what you are saying though, having 1 member of staff to 4 well behaved children, is practical and even if you are one member of staff with 4 children who are a bit more challenging it is still manageable cos that's why we have ratios in the first place. however if they made the ratio more children to 1 member of staff it could potentially cause problems, but then again I can understand how you say about other countries can cope. I guess if they do bring it into place we will get used to it. Its just trial and error I guess.
    Problem is that the article doesn't say what the Govt are recommending instead. A change to 1:5 is much less troubling than 1:10, for example.

It's also fairly rigid and subjective, 1:4. Why that and not 1:3 (for example)... what does an evidence base suggest, what about skill mix etc...

http://news.sky.com/story/1044227/childcare-plans-nursery-ratios-to-be-relaxed

in this article it says nursery nurses will be able to look after 6 2 year olds instead of 4, and 4 under 1s instead of 3, although I don't know how true that is.

clairestephanie I thought of you when I read this article, I'm a nursery nurse too and worked in a private day nursery for 2 years and I think this move is ridiculous! I honestly think it's being decided by people who do not work with children, otherwise they would know how hard it is. there's no way if it was just one person in a room with 6 two year olds you'd be able to keep your eye on them all successfully. same with babies, if there were 4 babies in a room with one adult and thry were all crying at once what would you do?! you can only do one thing at once. hope as well if they're thinking of raising the ratio of children then they're raising the wages too, because private nurseries often pay minimum wage and it's often quite a stressful job, definitely don't need more piling onto their plates.
    It is gonna result with staff out of jobs, cos they wont need to be working if they did this.
    It will only benefit nursery owners. We were talking about it today at work.