Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Dying over stains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I went out on saturday and as a result something seems to have been spilt on my black trench coat so now it's covered in some horrible red stains where the alcohol has ruined the colour. Now can I just get some black dye and dye over the patches? I love this coat so want to salvage it!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    no, it won't work. was it red wine? if so, white wine or salt should get it out. otherwise try dry cleaning it.
  • Options
    I don't know - it was in a busy club so anything could have been spilt on it. So annoyed :(
  • Options
    If it's left red marks then it sounds as though the alcohol has removed some of the existing black dye pigments.

overdying shouldn't cause problems, although it does seem that the material isn't very good at holding colour
  • Options
    Depending on the size of the stain and the material, Sharpies often work. If not give dying over a go.
  • Options
    If it's left red marks then it sounds as though the alcohol has removed some of the existing black dye pigments.

overdying shouldn't cause problems, although it does seem that the material isn't very good at holding colour

:yes:

But if the coat is ruined anyway, you've nothing to lose by trying!
  • Options
    Thank you! I'll give it a go. Also, I only want to dye the outside because the inside has a nice polka dot pattern, most fabric dyes seem to be for the washing machine - can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • Options
    In that case I'd try permanent markers
  • Options
    Hmmm, yeah, markers are your best bet. You can hand dye with machine ones, but it would probably reach the lining anyway