Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

self harm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am Bethany, I'm 16, and addicted to self harm. I've been self harming since I was 13. I really would love to stop self harming but I can't do it on my own. I have told one person and it didn't turnout well. I don't know where to go to get help.. can anybody help me? I want to get better. :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Welcome to the boards :)

Great to see you have posted. Have you told your GP about this? I am sorry to hear that you have a bad experience with opening up about your self harm. I have been in that situation too. I think a lot of it is, that people don't understand about it, and therefore don't know how to help or what to say. We are here for you, as a community we all care.

TheSite has some fantastic information about s/h and it could help you, here

It is great that you want to get better that's a very positive step :) you should be proud of yourself.

TheSite also has a chat room. which is here

It's a great place where you can come and chill and also get support with any problems you may be experiences. Also gives you a chance to meet some of TheSite regular users. We welcome new users with open arms :)

There is a general chat, on Mondays 7-8pm where we hang out talk about tv,music,latest news,smurfs,llamas,Jessie J and just a distraction from problems.

Support chats.
    These are where you can get support on problems.

8-10pm, Mon,Wed. And 7-8pm, Sunday.

Here are the chat guidelines

Happy to have you on here, :)
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey Bethany,

Welcome to TheSite.org boards, and reaching out to the support, you should be very proud of yourself, it's also very positive to hear that you would like to stop self harming, this is a positive step in the right direction, it can be daunting when opening up about self harm, especially to close family, and friends, because sometimes, people won't know what to say, or not many people have knowledge over it, it's best to reach out to your GP or your College nurse if you have one, but the best person to see would be your GP, maybe they can offer you more support, and help you reach out to support around you?

But, well done on being able to tell that one person, that's amazing, not many people can do that, here is a link about 'Confiding in someone' You could also go to A&E about your self harm, TheSite.org have an amazing article on what the process will be, if you did go for your self harm...Self harm going to A&E

The thought of opening up about your self harm can be daunting, especially if you didn't go to well, last time, I myself found it quiet difficult to open up to people about my self harm, until it go to the point, where I needed help, and I couldn't open up straight away, but people around me were really encouraging, especially the on-line world, as it does help to have that someone to talk to, weather offline or on-line.

But Bethany, just to let you know, you are not alone in this what soever, and we are all very proud of you for reaching out for support on here, that takes a lot of courage, as new forums can be quiet daunting to, as Claire suggested maybe pop a long to one of TheSite.org support chats, and maybe ask other people opinions, maybe they can share their stories with you to, and ways they stopped.

I haven't stopped self harming myself, but my self harm has decreased, I often find looking at TheSite.org 'Coping tips and Distractions' article quiet helpful to, it has a wide range of things you can do, to take your mind of self harm, I also do a lot of Mindfulness, something we do in DBT, which I do with my therapist and group, which is just being able to relax in the moment, and finding ways that work for you really.

What have you tried in the past, to stop you from self harming lovely? :)

Once again, welcome to TheSite.org boards :) And do keep us updated on how you are doing :)

Best wishes,
    Angel
    hey.

welcome to the site

hugs
    thank you.