Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

does this messageboard have a new direction? and 'triggering'

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a tough one though. The charity's mission is to help vulnerable young people, and quite a lot of vulnerable young people act up because they don't know how else to express themselves. There needs to be boundaries but blanket bans are not good either for that reason.

Absolutely. To add to which, something said in a light tone of voice in person that might go un-commented-on could cause major offence written down when the tone of voice is subject to interpretation.

I think young people who've grown up online will usually be quite good at getting that right, but it's impossible to imagine every possible repercussion and interpretation of what you've just written, every time!
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    How do you feel people are using the warnings?

I think in some cases they are used to attention-seek.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    So to be clear, I don't think we disagree that trigger warnings are not always necessary. We only seem to disagree in that I think, sometimes they are appropriate, and the impression I have is that you feel they are never appropriate?

Correct, I feel that they are fairly valueless at best. I don't believe that it really helps as a warning, since you cannot know the result of reading a post. A potentially *useful* thread, could, therefore, be made unavailable to people by these warnings.
    Mist wrote: »
    I feel that [trigger warnings] are fairly valueless at best. I don't believe that it really helps as a warning, since you cannot know the result of reading a post. A potentially *useful* thread, could, therefore, be made unavailable to people by these warnings.

That's a really interesting point. I hadn't thought of that.
    I'm with Mist.

I don't think they serve any useful purpose, and have definite drawbacks.
    piccolo wrote: »
    That's a really interesting point. I hadn't thought of that.

agree, nor had i.
    Sorry to bump this but I've noticed the massive shift in giving support for mental health and H+WB is now made up of these kinds of threads. Would I be horrible to suggest we create a separate mental health sub forum in H+WB and lose the 'triggering' titles? Personally I think it can be a bit off putting to go in there looking for advice on general health to be confronted with a lot of these threads, it is a bit intimidating and I feel general health threads can get lost in there.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this but I've noticed the massive shift in giving support for mental health and H+WB is now made up of these kinds of threads. Would I be horrible to suggest we create a separate mental health sub forum in H+WB and lose the 'triggering' titles? Personally I think it can be a bit off putting to go in there looking for advice on general health to be confronted with a lot of these threads, it is a bit intimidating and I feel general health threads can get lost in there.

I would agree with this too :)
    It is also currently the same few people posting multiple threads of this nature, which I also think is unfair as it clogs up the board and gives the board a glum atmosphere. I have politely suggested people make a single thread and create a sort of 'timeline' such as in YSH's thread where people can track your progress more easily, but it appears to have fallen on deaf ears. I might make a separate thread and see what people think