Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

weird work question for those with a job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
if your place of work refused to provide toilet rolls, would you be happy about it or not? would you just buy your own personal one and take it in to use when you need it? opinions wanted :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wow...thats an odd question! In my experience, because we have always been provided with them, when the cleaners failed to replenish them properly there was a massive uproar about it. However, I would imagine that if the company had never provided them, then it would be considered the norm? I find it a little strange to be honest but I guess if they were adamant then I would just take my own...saying that, I avoid most public toilets!
    In the UK its a legal requirement to provide toilet paper and soap and something to dry your hands on. Its part of the health and safety at work act (I think, I've definitely seen something with HSE on it). Its also a requirement to provide somewhere to dispose of santiary items.
    If my work refused to provide toilet roll, I would threaten to take all my shits on the MD's desk, and use his paperwork to wipe my arse with until such a time as the paper was reinstated.

Ok, I wouldn't really. But I would be pissed off.
    It is a legal requirement for an employer to provide suitable toilet facilities and to maintain hygiene. Toilet paper is definitely part of that, as is soap and somewhere to dry your hands properly.

Wipe it on your hand and rub it under the boss' nose?
    yeah i imagine it contravenes health and safety legislation and is pretty tight really :yuck:
    I couldn't have given you the exact details as others have - but I was pretty sure that it was a requirement.

Think I'd start by gently pointing out that it's a requirement. Then raising it with HR as a human welfare concern.

In the interim I'd bring my own, and keep it in my bag or similar and not share. Soon as you start doing that the problem goes away, and there's no motivation to get it fixed.

Or if there are handtowels, start flushing those down the loo - which will cause blockages.

Or bringing my own and using kitchen roll, can get a similar effect.

Or what Kaff said.

(I may have started sensible and drifted slightly....)
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    In the UK its a legal requirement to provide toilet paper and soap and something to dry your hands on. Its part of the health and safety at work act (I think, I've definitely seen something with HSE on it). Its also a requirement to provide somewhere to dispose of santiary items.

thank you. I'm going to look it up and see if I can find the quote so I can produce it if I need to. I already thought about the hygiene thing especially because I work in healthcare! I felt quite upset about it this morning. I work in people's homes you see which is a bit different but their home is still my place of work. a ten hour night shift without anything to wipe with is horrible and I had really bad stomachache by 6am from needing a wee so much :( I'm going to take my own tonight but it's just the principle of it.

some of the comments made me laugh :) my boyfriends take on it was 'wipe your bottom with a bathroom towel or the bath mat, see if she starts providing loo roll then' which did cheer me up this morning.
    It might be different if you're in someone's home... why isn't there bog roll?
    the person said it's 'too expensive' to provide and even leaves it in all day then takes it to bed with them at night.
    That's not on...
    how bizaare.

i guess you're a carer? definitely tell your bosses. it may sound trivial but the person doing it needs to be told it isn't on.
    they've been told about it and have had a word about it with the person. obviously it's still not been sorted so I'm going to finish my shifts and have a word again. it's really difficult when your workplace is somebody's home - if I make a complaint they will be told about it and it makes it awkward whole you're there and can be a horrible feeling. :(

yeah I'm a support worker, for the persons child.
    If you're employed, then it might be something that your employer can resolve in a simple manner by providing you with packets of kleenex or similar.
    You;re working on your employer's client's premises, which makes it a tad tricky.
    Buy loo roll and claim it from your employer as an expense
    You;re working on your employer's client's premises, which makes it a tad tricky.
    Buy loo roll and claim it from your employer as an expense

they have to sign a contract before we go in saying they'll provide certain things etc. a toilet was on it, toilet roll wasn't! it's going to be amended now. you hit the nail on the head though. bought some today and gonna claim it back.