Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Baby crying please help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello. I'm babysitting. I've got the baby listener on, and I can hear a baby crying over it. However whenever I go up to check on the kids it's not them crying, they are sleeping calmly. I'm really fucking terrified, who is this baby, why can I hear it, why won't it stop crying?

I'm not adult enough to deal with this, I'm so scared.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Could you phone someone to come to the house to you? Are you babysitting for long ?

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    Deep breaths hun, in through your nose for 8, out your mouth for 10. Is there anyone you could call to come and help you look after the children? *hug*
    No my friends are all at a birthday party together. I want to turn the listener off but I can't obv, I just have to lie here listening to this baby. It's screaming so loudly, why isn't anyone coming to comfort it? There aren't even any babies on this street. Does this baby exist?
    How much longer are you baby sitting for hun?
    That must be a frightening situation. Do you think contacting the parents of the children you are baby sitting, would be a wise idea?

It is entirely possible that if there is someone with the same monitor, that you are picking up their transmissions. If there is any option to change or reset the frequency on your device then try it. It sounds crazy but a DJ at the place I used to work in years ago, had a wireless microphone which for some reason once in a blue moon used to pick up radio transmissions from a taxi rank outside.
    I don't know. whENever the parents decide to come home. they left at 8 30 for a dinner so probably in a few hours. i've turned all the lights on and taken some tramadol. i've done everything i can to make my children safe which is the most important thing.
    Hope your okay.

G-Raffe wrote: »
    It is entirely possible that if there is someone with the same monitor, that you are picking up their transmissions. If there is any option to change or reset the frequency on your device then try it. It sounds crazy but a DJ at the place I used to work in years ago, had a wireless microphone which for some reason once in a blue moon used to pick up radio transmissions from a taxi rank outside.

I've changed the settings and put both ends on A instead of B. but now I can't hear anything, not my children or that fucking baby or white noise? maybe my kids just aren't making any noise but how do i find out if it's working?
    Is there a display on the bit that you listen from, ie if you blow into it some lights pop up etc.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Is there a display on the bit that you listen from, ie if you blow into it some lights pop up etc.

No. On the kids' end there's a light that comes on when you make noise, so I went and blew into it and the light came on, so according to that, it's working. However, I can't be at both ends at once to check that I can hear the noise that I'm making at the kids' end. I THINK that it's ok.
    Just keep checking on them to put your mind at ease :)
    thank you
    How are you feeling today Grace?
    if its an old fashioned cheaper radio baby monitor then you can easily hear other babies in the street. Its really annoying. They do sell much better baby monitors now that this doesnt happen wth, but theyre more expensive. You were just hearing next door but ones baby or something.
    I had one of these baby monitors with my first child 12 years ago and it used to piss me off because someone was doing sleep training with their baby somewhere close by and every night id have to listen to it crying and nooone coming to it for ages, therefore id have to turn my own monitor off, and couldnt hear my own baby either.
    please dont offer to babysit again if it upsets you this much. If i had a babysitter id much rather them turn the monitor off than actually have to take a sedative. Much safer in an actual emergency
    Well done for trying to deal with it, but like Suzy says if you need to resort to tramadol then maybe babysitting isn't for you at the moment.
    In the end I turned the monitor off and wedged all the doors open which seemed like the best idea to stop me freaking out but so I could still hear the kids.

The family know I'm taking tramadol for pain at the moment, I just wouldn't normally take one at night. I've had about three hours sleep though cos the parents got back at five and then the children got up at eight so I'm a bit bleurgh today.
    is it a paid job, or are they taking the piss out of a friend?
    is it a paid job, or are they taking the piss out of a friend?

I'm an au pair, so I normally do one or two nights free babysitting a week as well as daytime childcare.
    I think thats a complete pisstake if youre expected to get up with the kids too. Or would you normally sleep during babysitting?

Are you the one in paris?
    I think thats a complete pisstake if youre expected to get up with the kids too. Or would you normally sleep during babysitting?

Are you the one in paris?

Yeah. I'm not expected to get up with them at weekends, but they're kids and they're noisy so it's impossible to sleep. I'd normally sleep during babysitting but last night I kept dozing off and then waking up after about ten minutes all panicky, so it's my fault not the family's.

I think it was just a shit night, cos I'm still quite ill at the moment, which probably didn't help how I reacted to the monitor thing. Hopefully it was just a one off, cos normally I really like babysitting.