Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gay Marriage

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    The problem with gay marriage is there could be no procreation, so any sexual act is recreational, which is part of the problem with the church. I'd be a hypocrite to complain about sex outside of marriage, but I can see why the some denominations are more than iffy about it all.

But married couples have sex for fun too and some never want to procreate either. So I don't really understand their argument. All in all I think gay couples should be granted full marriage rights in non secular services. You can't force the church to marry couples they don't want to marry. My dad just remarried a catholic woman and she would have loved a catholic ceremony but because she was divorced she couldn't, so they had a non religious ceremony (the irony is she converted so she could marry her first husband). It all seems a bit silly to me, but if they don't want to do it then that's up to them. Plus if I were gay and getting married begrudgingly by a church it would make me uncomfortable, I'd rather be blessed by someone happy to do it.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    If the church, at least the catholic church, knows that a couple is planning to get married but one or both of the partners has absolutely no intention of having children, the marriage should be refused. An annulment can also be granted if two people have got married and one of them had no intention of ever having children and refuses to procreate. The fact is the church wouldn't want to marry people in the full knowledge that no procreation would ever happen.
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    If the church, at least the catholic church, knows that a couple is planning to get married but one or both of the partners has absolutely no intention of having children, the marriage should be refused. An annulment can also be granted if two people have got married and one of them had no intention of ever having children and refuses to procreate. The fact is the church wouldn't want to marry people in the full knowledge that no procreation would ever happen.

I find that all very bizarre. Marriage isn't just about having children imo. Also I find it a bit creepy that the church would want to know what I plan to do with my womb.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I find that all very bizarre. Marriage isn't just about having children imo. Also I find it a bit creepy that the church would want to know what I plan to do with my womb.
    Have you never heard about catholics before?
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    But in the catholic church marriage is not only the committment to the other person but also the promise to have children and raise them as a catholic if possible etc etc.. I genuinely see nothing wrong with my religion, nothing is forced on me, I'm not made to do anything, I'm allowed to be open to other views and whatever. I've been brought up in a lovely community as well with good values, I'm not scared to admit I'm catholic cos if people give abuse for it its their problem, it won't change my beliefs. But yeah, im all for gay marriage as long as religions and priests or other church leaders aren't forced into performing them
    Have you never heard about catholics before?

Of course I have, my step family are all catholic and are honestly the nicest people I've met in a long time, nicer than the majority of my own family in fact. But I've never looked into it in detail as all the religious people I've ever known have been C of E. Just coming from a non-religious family I do find some aspects of it hard to get my head round and was just expressing my opinion. But hey it's not a one size fits all thing if people are happy with their religion then good for them. Anyway we're getting sidetracked. I think most people agree the church shouldn't have to perform marriages they don't want to - that's totally up to them. But if that's the case then non secular gay marriages should be full marriages and not just civil partnerships?