Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gay Marriage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lots of chat, that I've seen, on twitter and in some news about whether its right or not, whether it should be allowed not not.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never seen a problem with it, or how it's different that 2 females, or 2 males love each other. If someone loves each other there shouldn't be ANYTHING stopping them. I'm totally for people having gay marriage, I mean, at the end of the day, it's honestly none of our business if they get married or not, if they're happy, so be it.
    I really can't see why it's such a topic of discussion. Quite frankly I don't think they should ever have bothered with creating the concept of civil partnership, instead just gone for marriage in the first place.

Any kind of formal union in a registry office should be marriage, whatever flavour of two consenting adults it happens to be between.

I also think that religious institutions should continue to be free to place restrictions on who they will marry - but that choice should be left up to them, not dictated to them by the state.
    marriedhk.jpg
    Phyllis Siegel, 76, kisses her wife Connie Kopelov, 84, after exchanging vows in front of New York City Council speaker Christine C. Quinn. The couple have been together for 23 years.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/jul/24/gay-marriage-new-york-photos#/?picture=377214481&index=2

yes it should be allowed everywhere
    marriage is a religious thing, and what constitutes a marriage sould be down to the religions that perform them - I believe the Quakers have been illegally marrying people (and submitting the paperwork) for years.

The state should immediately stop performing marriages, instead only performing civil partnerships. The sex discrimination that currently exists in the UK civil partnership legislation should be removed immediately.

Religious organisation performing marriages must register a civil partnership, provided the marriage is compatible with the current civil partnership legislation. They must also retrospectively register a civil partnership when circumstances changed to allow a previously incompatible grouping

e.g. 1: Your church marries you at 12, when you're 16 the church registers your civil partnership.

e.g. 2: You marry three wives, the first wife is registered as a civil partnership. if the first wife dies or is divorced the second wife is registered in the CP

e.g. 3: You marry three wives, the first wife is registered as a civil partnership when civil partnership legislation allows a CP to involve a third person the second wife is registered as part of the partnership
    Do you know that civil partnership & marriage don't have equality?
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    I am definitely not getting involved in this discussion :L
    I do, which is why marriage needs to be removed from legislation.
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    I am definitely not getting involved in this discussion :L

Why not?
    I do, which is why marriage needs to be removed from legislation.

But my girlfriend wants to get married, in a church, why should I have to do two things?
    Because my views on matters such as this, when my religious beliefs are also involved, are never popular, and the last time a debate such as this happened I just got abuse :P I like to observe this kind of thing though
    Its kind of the point. I can't promise you won't get abuse. But you shouldn't. I saw your post about gender equality in the church and ignored it. You have reasons, you're entitled to hold opinions. What I want to know is, who are you to stop me from marrying the woman I love?
    In many countries marriage isn't something that has evolved from the religious institution base that it has in the UK. It always annoys me when I see these debates, as the bigger problem is that we need to have them in the first place. What do people really have against homosexual people? Seriously? Why do people make this such a deal when if you have people who love one another. Divorce rates in the UK are shocking, if homophobic folk are that pissed off about homosexual people being able to marry, perhaps heterosexual folk should think twice about harassing others when so many straight folk get divorced these days.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    But my girlfriend wants to get married, in a church, why should I have to do two things?

you don't have to do two things - if your church marries you it also registers your civil partnership - in exactly the same way as it currently registers a marriage. If it doesn't then you are an abomination in the eyes of its belief system and so you can still hav the option of registering an ungodly civil partnership at a registry office.
    I'm not stopping you doing anything :P kinda gonna have to explain a bit now. I don't really have much of a viewpoint on the whole same sex marriage, I suppose if a couple want to do it then there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think any priest, or any religion should be made to marry a couple if they don't think it's right as a lot of religions see marriage as the joining of a man and a woman in the eyes of God
    To whatever extent a couple wants to get the state involved in recognising their relationship it should be the same for gay and straight couples - though I have heard it argued the state shouldn't be involved in endorsing relationships at all, and should only really have provisions for arbitration if a relationship fails acrimoniously. I'm happy to call a relationship's recognition by the state pretty much anything, though would be tempted to call it 'marriage' just to remind the church they don't have a monopoly on the term.

I'm in two minds about what to do with church-based marriage. Part of me thinks 'it's their fruity club, let them do whatever they want' as it'll only hasten their slide into irrelevance.
    Opponents of gay marriage can say what they want, but I more often than not feel that much of the opposition isn't on "technicality" grounds but more so on the opponent being homophobic. I'm not saying that is everyone, just mainly in my experience the people who get really angry about it.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

most other european countries dont allow the church to marry
    Just thought I'd throw in that I'm not homophobic, nor do I see non-straight people as lesser people in anyway
    I got married by a registrar in an entirely secular service held in a pub function room. Because my other half is a man, it's called a marriage. If my other half was a woman, I would have a civil partnership. I fail to see how this is anything other than homophobia.

I also would genuinely like to know why gay people would even want their relationship to get the blessing (pardon the pun!) of an organisation which has little but contempt for them.
    What's the difference between a marriage and a civil partnership? Is it just religion?
    grace wrote: »
    What's the difference between a marriage and a civil partnership? Is it just religion?

Civil partnership is for same-sex couples. Hetero couples can have either a religious or civil ceremony, but they are all marriages.

Infidelity is not grounds for ending a civil partnership.

there is some legislation that has not been updated to say "marriage or civil partnership"

Not just religion, because there is such a thing as a civil marriage (like kaff had). As Carriage Return says, sex isn't part of a civil partnership, so infidelity isn't a legal reason for dissolution. Also, there are rules about how partners of peers are addressed, which are different if they're straight.

Transgender people also have a rough time. If they transition whilst married, they are legally required to divorce and have a civil partnership, or vice versa.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Transgender people also have a rough time. If they transition whilst married, they are legally required to divorce and have a civil partnership, or vice versa.

Not quite true, they're only legally required to divorce or dissolve the civil partnership.
    Not quite true, they're only legally required to divorce or dissolve the civil partnership.

Bit nit picky. Presuming that the transgender person and their partner wish to remain legally bound they have to divorce/disolve and remarry/civil partner. But effectively because Civil Partnership and Marriage are separate institutions, straight couples can stay married if one of them transitions, and gay couples can't stay civil partnered.
    Not nit picking when applied to a statement of "legal requirement"

Sorry, yes, what I meant to say was "If they transition whilst married and want to stay married, they are legally required to divorce and have a civil partnership, or vice versa."

Apologies.
    marriage is a religious thing, and what constitutes a marriage sould be down to the religions that perform them

It's not, it's a state thing, and it should be down to the state to decide what type of relationships they officially recognise, and preferably to do so without discriminating against some of its citizens. Religions are free to have whatever little ceremonies they want and call them whatever they want, but the question of gay marriage is nothing to do with them and everything to do with what types of relationships the government legally recognises.
    The problem with gay marriage is there could be no procreation, so any sexual act is recreational, which is part of the problem with the church. I'd be a hypocrite to complain about sex outside of marriage, but I can see why the some denominations are more than iffy about it all.
    It's not, it's a state thing.
    No, religion got there first.