Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

herbal remedies on prescription?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
as the title suggests, i want to know if i can get something like 5-htp on prescription so i don't have to pay (i'm disabled and on benefits), instead of being on antidepressants...
does anyone know if this is possible?
also if anyone knows of any natural remedy that can alleviate psychosis/anger, please tell me, especially any success stories.
thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Going back many years I used to get Apis Mel on prescription - although my guess would be that the rules have changed several times since then.

You can possibly look up the prescribing formulary on line - if it's in there then you definitely can. If it's not, it's not a definite no.
    I dont think you can, but you can get it cheaper online than you can in holland and barrett

There isnt any natural remedy that will aleviate psychosis, but you may be able to get talking therapy on the NHS, and then top it up with SJW or 5htp that you buy yourself, or there are some things you can get from the doctor that arent typical anti depressants.

I was on fluanxol for a while, which you can take on an as and when basis and I found it non habit forming and was able to stop with no problems at all, and it really sorted my anxiety out for a long time
    ok, it doesn't matter now. i need to be on an antidepressant, i'm crying so much and having panic attacks and generally feel really ill at ease all day and night. i'm so fucking pissed off at my psychiatrist for not prescribing short term benzos to help, i clearly need some, the BASTARD!! ...cocodamol, drink, spliffs and whatever pills i can get my hands on it is then... >_<
    oh mate, im sorry youre going through this. I have been there too x