Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feeling de motivated at work.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello :)

So after talking in chat briefly the other night about some problems that I am having at work at the minute. Helen suggested I started a thread so here goes.
I have been at my workplace for about 5 years now and dont get me wrong I do love my job alot. I have worked hard to achieve my job in childcare and love it.
But a few things at the minute are making me not want to be there and feeling very de motivated.

My manager hands roles out to others and doesnt do it fairly e.g. She doesnt offer them to everyone to apply for. Im not to sure if this is right or not?

Whenever I try and talk to somebody at work about it, my responces are just ignored.

I feel like I am working hard and not being recognised for the work I am doing.

In the past I have disaplinarys that have come to nothing. But I just worry that my manager is holding things in the past against me.

Im never given chances to attend courses, and really want to be able to progress in my career. But feel a bit stuck at the minute. Kind of like I am getting no where.

I made the mistake of telling my manager about my mental health, and she was supportive. But I often worry this is the reason she doesn't want to give me any extra roles and responsibilities. Im not sure though :s

Just wondering if anybody has ever felt de motivated at work or had any similar problems to me?

Thanks for reading. :)

C

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Claire
    Good post :)
    I often feel like that too, when I think I'm doing it for the right reasons and then kind of regretting speaking to that person because
    it could affect my work, responsibility. I can't relate to work because I don't have a job but I can relate to opportunities I may have had in the past.
    Maybe you could flag up a conversation with your manager and see what happens? Maybe let her know that your doing other roles in Volunteering and that you feel ready to do more at work.
    Hope this helps a bit :)
    <33
    Thank you Sonia.

I have told my manager about the volunteering and things, she said it's really good but nothing changed. So I don't know if she just doesn't want to risk adding any stress to my normal job role or whatever.
    I may speak to her when I have my appraisal. I just feel as though I can't further my career because I am not being given opportunities.
    Can you start looking to work somewhere else?
    I could do but childcare jobs are rather hard to find, and especially with the government changing the laws about child benefits people can't afford to have their child(ren) in nursery.

And some advice I got from my sister was never leave one nursery to go to another cos they are all the same, but being in a nursery is all I want to do at the minute, who knows what will happen in the future.
    What's your sister's expertise on nursery management style and training opportunities?
    My sister used to be a manager and basically said that how my manager is, is quite bad practice, she doesn't do the things she is legally supposed to do. But I don't understand a whole lot about those type of things.

All I know is she has given me disciplinarys in the past, but without knowing too much about them. Like I contacted my union rep about the last one I was given and they said the manager did everything wrong the whole process.

I would speak to my sister but she gets a bit over protective when she thinks something is wrong and I can't deal with all her questions at the minute. Got too much to deal with as it is.

My manager really doesn't have a clue, even ofsted told her she is doing loads wrong. The manager is also the owner, so she is hardly there to be honest, so to get chance to talk to her is pretty much impossible.

She did things like staff member of the month, but only did it for one month, and then didn't do it again. Quite de motivating really. And like she gives the praise to the "staff" who have extra responsibilities, but not to ALL staff.

I don't know anymore to be honest.

I do love my job though, being with the children but it's made hard when I feel like this.
    the only way you'll progress or advance your position or career is by being part of the in-crowd with management or whoever has the power to pull the strings. either that, or you keep persisting and maintain performance until they can't look past you given your experience and length of service. finding work with another organisation in the same sort of field is seriously worth a think, something to look out for proactively even with a lack of obvious opportunity, a roll of the dice that could well open the doors with different keyholders...
    yeah I can understand your point. It does make sense. I guess the one things that I am worried about is taking that risk to try and find a new job, and if I do get a new job and hate it, I am stuck with either a job I hate or no job. And how the economy is now I don't think it's the best time to make that decision.

I do love my job, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's fair how your only recognised as doing a good job if you have a higher position. It feels very de motivating.
    Claire, it sounds like your nursery is particularly bad.

If your manager is all over the place and doesn't know what she's doing with staffing practices, it doesn't sound like it's your fault.

Have you considered that finding another job where you're valued might even be good for your emotional health?
    I get recognition, and I'm pretty far down the tree.

It seems simple to me, scary in practice though, you like what you do but not where you do it.

Get a new job.
    What Fiend says.

Also, what you said yourself. Talk to her about it at your appraisal. It may be that you've reached the limit for you within that nursury. Often if people start at a job when they are very new - the employers memory will always see them as the person they were when they first started. IF you get a new role then you'll be starting as someone with experience.
    Thank you for all your replies guys :)

I fully understand what you are all saying. I just don't have the confidence to just leave and get a new job. Which I know sounds stupid cos we all have to get new jobs in life. We can't stay in the same place forever.

I just don't know what to do about anything any more.
    Well you've got a pretty good plan lined up - talk about it at you appraisal.

There's no harm in looking around at the options. You don't need to leave your current job to look at others, and then you'll have a better idea of where you stand.
    yeah you're right.
    thank you for the brilliant advice everybody. given me lots to think about.