Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

My Mad Fat Diary

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey:wave:

Anyone watch My Mad Fat Diary on e4 at 10pm tonight?

I gave it a watch, seeing as I'm writing a blog for Mind about it. I think it approaches mental health in a way that most of us can understand, hopefully. It definitely portrays mental health as something people aren't quite sure on, so like a taboo topic still. I enjoyed watching it, although I was more into writing notes!! I guess it showed parts about eating disorders, with binge eating and how you can count to 10 to release the urge to binge. It's taught me a lot to do with mental health, and I'll enjoy watching other episodes.

How well do you think it approaches and portrays mental health problems? And did you enjoy watching it? Has it taught you anything new?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    to be honest, i'm trying to figure out where in lincolnshire they filmed it... that's if they did film it in lincs. i didn't recognise any places in the first episode.
    as for portraying mental health stuff, well, it seemed a bit teenage angsty, and by the sound of things, her time in 'the mad house' didn't numb her sexual appetite! And i'm not sure that a therapist would throw pictures out the window and then threaten to say it was her because she was the one with 'a history of mental illness'... it kind of, takes the piss out of itself as a programme, if you get me... i dunno, i'm waffling. lol
    Have you ever read the book? I always saw it as more about teenage angst than mental health problems.
    grace wrote: »
    Have you ever read the book? I always saw it as more about teenage angst than mental health problems.

I never knew they had a book? Interesting! Might have to have a look when I can.
    And i'm not sure that a therapist would throw pictures out the window and then threaten to say it was her because she was the one with 'a history of mental illness'... it kind of, takes the piss out of itself as a programme.

Yeah I know what you mean, maybe that show's part of the stigma? That just because she has a mental illness, people wouldn't believe her, like she's incapable of heading a rather positive life, despite her past.
    I watched it last night cos missed the first show. I agree with what others have said. Im unsure if i will watch other episodes.
    Good luck with the blog post.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    I never knew they had a book? Interesting! Might have to have a look when I can.

Yeah it's her actual diary from when she was a teenager.
    It sounds like a cool book. :)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    Awh cool!