Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The ongoing housing crisis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One thing that I get really emotional about is housing. I get upset that some people live in mansions and some people have no home, not even a ROOM they can call their own. So that's a little disclaimer there that I might fly off the handle (though, I will endevour not to :)). This is my little pet peeve.

Some background

So, recently, the The Chartered Institute of Housing published its Third Edition Housing Report which highlighted some ongoing issues:
  1. Housing supply – Britain isn’t building
  2. Planning – More reform generating more uncertainty
  3. Overcrowding – Pressure continues to build
  4. Homelessness – Vulnerable at higher risk
  5. Evictions, repossessions and arrears – Preventative approach yields results
  6. Help with housing costs – More claimants claiming more
  7. Empty homes – Solid progress
  8. Mobility – Still waiting to move
  9. Affordability of the private rented sector – Rents rising
  10. Home ownership – Dreams unrealised

My understanding

Firstly looking at housebuilding, most of the new housing stock in this country is owned by very large, very profitable and very wealthy companies. They are the 'house-builders'. In a free market, if they failed to build enough houses, then smaller enterprise would take over. However in the UK, only around 5% of homes are built by smaller / independent enterprise (compared to a ballpark 50% in France). I don't understand the full reason why, except perhaps for minimum capital requirements (e.g. you need at least a spare £100k to consider building even one house - something most people can't claim!) but I believe it has contributed towards a 'cartel' mentality, where producing more homes actually costs these companies money in lost revenue.

Secondly considering house prices, they are overinflated. By around 30% from what I have read and I can believe that. Now the housebuilders are saying that the problem is actually a lack of demand, and they won't build more until mortgage lenders give out 100% / 105% mortgages to people who will struggle to pay back. The banks know that they have a bomb on their hands with tens of thousands who would instantly fall into negative equity if the market actually slumped by 30%, so they have to be careful to on the one hand be prudent not to take on more risk, but on the other - not contribute to a 'market correction' in which they (and homeowners) would be the main losers.

Again, the problem is capital interests are being put first - the financial losses accrued by the powerful - vs the 'economic benefit' of all or efficient markets. This is the second market failure.

This is my main problem though, in that its not people who at 35 'own property' for a living that are being put up against it, but instead the most vulnerable - people who need a roof over their heads or who are facing evictions as landlords seek to push up rent. We have a market that isn't offering an alternative, and a lack of legislation to deal with landlords. It's basically a perfect storm of shitness, which is leading to what I call a a crisis.

Solutions

Well, what we would do is increase pressure on landlords. I believe that there may be some benefit on a first home (perhaps even building it yourself), but an increased tax burden or mortgage responsibility on second/third/fourth properties. In an era of scarcity, surely homes must be one of the first dominoes where we have to tell people - you can keep your multiple properties, but it's going to cost you. My hope is that through the redistributive affect, it will become profitable for companies to build homes for first time buyers and become less profitable for people to gain massive property portfolios. In my mind it is no different to someone hoarding all the supplies of medicine because they can afford it and making exhorbitant profit on it.

Another idea is that we borrow money (:shocking:) and with that we, as a country, build more houses which we give to local councils. With some intelligent planning we could really go a long way towards providing not just for the needs of today, but the needs of tomorrow as well.

I will say that I don't believe the government or the population is entitled to luxuries such as Trident until we meet our basic obligation to each other that everyone has a safe place to live and somewhere to call their home. It is not, as Cameron would like to phrase it 'an unrealistic dream that people should work hard for', but in my mind its a basic right of life to have a corner of this planet that is yours, even if you are renting and don't own it out right - you deserve and should have that security.

I welcome other people's thoughts on the matter :)

Comments

• Options
    Is there actually a shortage though? Or are there actually plenty of properties in places that people don't fancy living in?

I'm not convinced the government should be taking on more debt to build more houses to allow people living on benefits to live somewhere that's got high pricing driven by the Market when there are empty properties 10 miles away. Someone will mutter about access to jobs, but the answer to that is a decent transport system.
  • Options
    Yea there is a shortage as indicated by the CIH report. If you look at trends as well, Sweden is leading the way with 60% single occupancy households and this is the new reality, where the demand for housing will increase out of step with population growth as people opt to live alone.

We shouldn't buy into the myth that the majority of the people needing housing are simply unwilling to lower their standards - for jobs for example, a recent study found that although job applicants were often willing to travel for up to an hour to get to work, employers weren't willing to hire them!

I am sure London will have an interesting and unique picture in this regard, but it doesn't follow suite for the rest of the country. Where I am, I can't find any places within commuting distance that I could get a legit mortgage on. Admittedly I can probably get a mortgage regardless thanks to some family ties but this is not a situation most are in.

The problem isn't exclusive areas, it's a problem of acceptable, affordable, decent housing. The free market is failing to provide because it's controlled (in my opinion) by a cartel. Likely a cartel that has significant influence on the incumbent government (/tin foil hat), and also because its tied up with mortgage lenders who know that devaluing property will ruin their own companies.

But I can't see why if the system is broken we should allow it to continue to be broken because fixing it would be too painful. Government spending is not ideal but it is one way to force a market correction.
  • Options
    Is finding a way to force the value correction not a better way to go about it! As I see it, building more houses doesn't solve the problem, just defer it.
  • Options
    Well its tricky because the people who will lose out are probably people who have bought in the past 10 years on really expensive mortgages. No chance the bank wants to take a hit on giving out bad loans, so they will drag people through the courts.

Building more houses basically puts 'liquidity' into the housing market and without breaking anyone, just inflates everything and makes everyones home a little less valuable. Whilst creating economic activity that should be engaged in anyway, but wont be because of house-building cartels.
  • Options
    http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/home/blogs/why-wont-they-build?/6523778.blog

Just some guys blog but he touches on what I've said:
    Which brings me to the principal culprit of this blog, the house-builders themselves. We all know by now that our house-building industry is unfit for purpose. Their principal objectives are to speculate in land and maximise their margins, rather than respond to needs or demand. But in some respects house-builders are an easy target. I was struck by this recent blog from planning academic Sarah Payne who presents a great analysis of the world of risk that house-builders inhabit, where any slight change in land prices, house prices or interest rates can destroy their business plan at a stroke and where planning can take years to achieve, adding further uncertainty to their operations. So, like Winnie the Pooh with his honey, they hoard their land, minimise their risks and, in order not to unsettle fragile local housing markets they release new homes a few at a time. It keeps their shareholders happy, but land availability is at the root of this problem. If house-builders were certain that they could sell their product at the cost of production plus a reasonable margin they would be no different to car or widget makers, and would produce homes to meet demand, and even create new demand by diversifying their product. It is principally the scarcity of land that causes them to act so cautiously.

So house-builders act rationally in an irrational world. But they do it together and the industry is increasingly dominated by a few big players. Smaller builders are disappearing fast and the industry is failing to respond to demand, and failing to create new demand for their mostly unimaginative products (cedar cladding anyone?). As Jules Birch pointed out recently, they are increasingly feather-bedded with huge government subsidies. They also have the power to silence or suppress any criticism, as this incident shows. To me, the house-building industry looks and sounds increasingly like a cartel.
  • Options
    When buying a house, you can spend all year looking at statistics of how housing prices are going up or down, or how much the average house is worth, what your house is worth and if you have negative or positive equity.

Except I think when people start throwing around these stupid figures saying that houses are over valued, that entirely depends on your point of view.

I think houses are worth a hell of a lot less than people think they are, and I mean A LOT, and always have been for the past 20/30 years. What I think gets overlooked is that when stats talk about how over valued houses are, they say "value of house" and actually mean how much someone is willing to pay to get it. Subtle but significant enough of a difference.
  • Options
    I have no issue with not owning my home - on the continent many people rent their entire lives. My problem is that even for somewhere that's not in a particularly good area, I can't afford the rents! Housing benefit is meant to cover it, but it doesn't and won't even if I moved away from all the support network that I've spent over a year trying to get together. I think that there should be a statutory rent level which landlords can't go over without paying some of that money back into the system. I also think that there needs to be far more protection for tenants - such as not being evicted without a given reason, and landlords needing to be licensed. I've been evicted 2 in 18 months and had to leave another property due to its disrepair and the council doing nothing to help us out.
  • Options
    It's caused by the combination of a severe lack of land available for building houses on and rampant speculation due to monetary policy. The fact that house prices in the UK never really crashed during the economic crisis like they did in most other places is a good indicator that there is a shortage of housing where it needs to be. Build half a million houses in the south then we will see some more realistic prices.

Re the cartel theory, it's not really a cartel as there's no active collusion. The outcome is kind of like that in the Tacit Collusion theory which, unlike a cartel, is stable in the long run iirc.
  • Options
    I'm really concerned by ShyBoy's attack on the rented sector - yes prices are high, but addressing the supply issue would correct that.
  • Options
    In my area there isn't a supply issue - there are plenty of places on offer but they are often incredibly over priced and not in a good condition - damp, unsafe staircases, carpets and windows in poor condition, not well insulated, etc. I think there needs to be a charter which all landlords have to agree to, and agents won't be able to take on properties if they don't meet those criteria. Landlords can get away with far too much!
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    When buying a house, you can spend all year looking at statistics of how housing prices are going up or down, or how much the average house is worth, what your house is worth and if you have negative or positive equity.

Except I think when people start throwing around these stupid figures saying that houses are over valued, that entirely depends on your point of view.

I think houses are worth a hell of a lot less than people think they are, and I mean A LOT, and always have been for the past 20/30 years. What I think gets overlooked is that when stats talk about how over valued houses are, they say "value of house" and actually mean how much someone is willing to pay to get it. Subtle but significant enough of a difference.

When I say overpriced I mean according to APT expected return of a security (also accounting for other factors) as generally you can only reasonably expect a %age of an average persons income on a residential property. Property prices have increased, incomes haven't, thus your expected return must fall and the industry estimate is that this overpricing is at around 30%. The exceptions are if you can squeeze more people into the same residence, or if you can get people to pay a higher proportion of their incomes. There are limits though.

The problem is a rational actor may understand its overpriced, but still understand that sentiment and people building castles in the sky could further drive prices up and so speculate and push prices up. This inevitably trickles down to rents as some can't afford to buy (increase demand for rent) and landlords are up against it having secured barely affordable mortgages against their first homes whilst their salaries might have stagnated. It is pretty much the definition of a bubble, but it can only pop when people start to lose a lot of money - when banks start repossessing landlords (but as previously said this is unlikely to happen as banks have an interest in maintaining the status quo).
    I think that there should be a statutory rent level which landlords can't go over without paying some of that money back into the system. I also think that there needs to be far more protection for tenants - such as not being evicted without a given reason, and landlords needing to be licensed. I've been evicted 2 in 18 months and had to leave another property due to its disrepair and the council doing nothing to help us out.

I don't agree on a rent level as such, I think it encourages too much cost cutting if the only way of making a buck is by spending less than everyone else. I do agree there should be increase caps though, and these have been incorporated in other countries and generally worked well. If incomes in the area go up on average by 5% that year, rents are fixed at a max increase of 5%. It stops opportunist landlords turfing people out for example when the Olympics hits.
    Re the cartel theory, it's not really a cartel as there's no active collusion. The outcome is kind of like that in the Tacit Collusion theory which, unlike a cartel, is stable in the long run iirc.

That makes more sense, I actually quite like that as a satisfactory explanation for, what I perceive to be, a large market failure. There are actually huge swathes of land owned by housebuilding companies already, with planning permission granted, everything in place - but they are set to be put off until such time as they feel they can make a good return on it. With it being close to costless (if you account for appreciation) to just hold onto land, thats the smart choice, despite the gross housing shortage.
    I'm really concerned by ShyBoy's attack on the rented sector - yes prices are high, but addressing the supply issue would correct that.

I have no problem with renting, it's great. But lets line up all the landlords by nice vs naughty. It turns out, on average, the naughty ones might make one or two percent better margin than the nice ones.

Problem is as the market is squeezed (which it is), the nice ones have a choice to go out of business or to act like the naughty ones, and the naughty ones clean up the market. In essence we create a situation where it is beneficial to act like a shit. The natural reaction to this would be legislation and regulation, but because historically the UK has been a house-owning culture, leasing and renting laws have never been a high priority or having much votes in them.

Compare it to many other countries on the continent where your landlord would be criminally culpable for leaving you in an unfit home for habitation, >50% of the people I have known on DSS of some sort have had flats with dodgy heating, water or electric. And that's ok. Because in the UK we believe the free market allows for this. I am of the belief the free market fails in these situations because the demand is near enough inelastic - having a roof over your head is a basic necessity to life and as such, can't be left to an unregulated free market, because, at the short end of curve they utterly fail. I mean that was the whole point behind social housing, but we've sold all that now and the government won't commit / fund more. So that's that.
  • Options
    I think you'll find that historically we are not a home owning country, and the reason we have poor renting laws is because we never murdered the property owning aristocracy.

The original social housing in this country was philanthropic, but the state took over - and did well for a bit, but then ideology changed, and state housing became sink housing.

How do you create a sense of responsibility to tenants in this age of profit and greed? And given this same greed leads tenants to think it's OK to rip off "soft" landlords, is it any surprise the good ones give in?
  • Options
    I think you'll find that historically we are not a home owning country,

I meant relatively speaking compared to our neighbours in the post war period :)
    and the reason we have poor renting laws is because we never murdered the property owning aristocracy.

I would disagree, many other countries are quite far ahead of us on this regardless of any violent revolutions. I would argue its an ideological thing as we like to stick close to the anglo-american 'the free market rules' model.
    The original social housing in this country was philanthropic, but the state took over - and did well for a bit, but then ideology changed, and state housing became sink housing.

Indeed, the vision of state housing originally was to replicate the British or Welsh village - where the Doctor, Policeman and Laborer might all have houses on the same street. As you say though, times change...
    How do you create a sense of responsibility to tenants in this age of profit and greed? And given this same greed leads tenants to think it's OK to rip off "soft" landlords, is it any surprise the good ones give in?

Well I think it shouldn't be a sense of responsibility - it should be a legal obligation. Landlords who get stiffed by their tenants have to acknowledge that, as a business venture, there are risks involved. In general it is a very profitable business venture because demand is so inelastic. It's like saying, why should pharmacists have to abide by fair rules for all when some addicts are going to be shits and harass / try to steal from them? That's part of the trade unfortunately.

As it happens I have family who do deal a little in property, however they generally don't have complaints because as I pointed to earlier they make their money from adding value: add value, and you're able to command higher rental premiums. The problem in my eyes with landlords are the ones who are already at the bottom, know the statutory minimum they will get via housing benefit, and so to increase their profitability on homes they are speculating will increase in value and make them millions, they have to stop servicing the property.

It's not a unique or rare story, just in general few people give two shits since those tenants are often your 'undesirables'.
  • Options
    I find it a bit odd that some of the measures being proposed include opening up new areas of land for developers to build upon. Except if things are as many say they are, and companies already have plenty of land laying bare, I'm not sure how this particular measure would help.
  • Options
    Legislation is a poor second to a sense of responsibility - for the greedy landlord laws create a maximum a target to work to and loopholes to find.

A cynic might suggest it's about building rural second home G-raffe
  • Options
    It's kind of the whole problem with market failure though.

Instead of legislation the government could just force a devaluation by building its own housing stock. But that's not the tory way. Instead they are trying to encourage banks to give bigger mortgages to people who will struggle to pay them. Makes sense.
  • Options
    I was driving past a disused hospital the other day. Could easily get 40 flats in it. Why don't old buildings get converted?
  • Options
    The ROI is too low for the few people with capital to engage in more than one or two projects at a time.
  • Options
    That could be a government incentive thingy. You keep population where population centres are high (like london where everyone but me apparently wants to live) and you protect the greenbelt and countryside, and you restore a wasted building, some of which are very pretty on the outside.
  • Options
    To give a simple example: housebuilder company wants to sell house for £200k (where they earn a margin of 50% for example, but have to pay sales/office staff/tax out of the profit too). However current market rate for similar houses if £180k. So they're going to wait, they've bought the land already, got planning permission, its not going to lose its value, and no point paying tradesmen today for houses that wont sell at your price for 2 years.

The problem is, the average income in the area is £30,000, so the historic '3.5x link' indicates house values should be around £90k-£110k. That, in a free market, would be the natural level, where people would build lots of houses (reducing the marginal cost) until price falls to the point where its just not worth the time - even an independent building their own house wouldn't save any money over buying and spending those hours working an office job.

But the problem is capital. It's really expensive building houses, and the money either has to come from family, or a bank, or some other place, to build it in the first place. This limits the amount of people who can build to the people who can afford it, who are less driven to cut margins fine and would rather do less, and make more money.

An interesting link: http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article6250.html
  • Options
    uk-house-prices-4.gif
  • Options
    I think you've missed on something, this 'capital' you're on about. For the average person in their 30s/40s depending on how you've worked in your life. You should be able to rustle up £100,000 if you really need it...
    But house building isn't something for the everyday person, it takes a shit ton of time, effort, planning and skill. You need to know what you're doing and if you've got a job you're not likely to want to build your own house but just buy one ready and made.

I know personally both my parents (separated), if asked could find £100,000 tomorrow to build a new house. Through remortgaging their properties (I don't have a wealthy family, my mum brought my sister and I, up on £16,000 a year, until she got a teaching job 8 years ago and my dad used to work in an icecream factor on min wage till he became an accountant 3 years ago)
    So i think the capital is easily there, there's just no incentive to risk that money...

Talking from a personal point of view, my dad is a Landlord (In Plymouth) and it's mortgage prices, ground rent, council tax etc that costs so much... Not the landlord being horrible and holding high prices, they've no choice.
    -On a quick side note i think G Raffe and some other people had ago about the laws of renting and saying there should be more legislation and laws to control it.
    Wrong. This is such a nanny state, there shouldn't be more laws, there should be more education. No one is forcing you to pay high prices, or go to a certain landlord. If the price is too high for you, then live somewhere cheaper, it's simple. When i got offered my place, i grabbed it with both hands, irrelevant to the fact is was about 5 miles from where i worked (I have no transport, apart from my skateboard).

People need to learn to handle thing themselves, rather that needing courts of police or laws. People seem to forget that "rent" means you don't own, therefore someone else does, and it still and always someones else property. So if they want you gone, so be it, if they want you to pay twice as much or to leave, then leave etc. I don't think the gov should be able to control something you own. It's your personal choice if you chose to live in a bad landlords property.
    I've been asked by a landlord, to have less than a week to move all my stuff out of my flat and somewhere else. I know i should have got a month, or two. And seeked help from the council. But do you know what i did? I walked into town, had a look round. Made some phone calls, got my deposit back of current landlord and moved into somewhere else. Yes it was hassle, but it was do, quick easy and without too much pain.

Housing Benefit gives me £69.50 a week (£300 pcm), and for a 1 bedroom flat in Mannamead, it costs my dad £384 in mortgage costs... Housing benefit doesn't add up to meet the price. I'm lucky because i only have to pay the cost of the mortgage back to my dad, but if it was anyone else they'd probably have to pay another £50 to £100 on top of that a month easily.

And where can you get for £300 a month, apart from shared housing... which i thinks okay if you want to do that. But you shouldn't be forced too. I'm only 18, but i still feel as if i were put into a house with 5+ other people, sharing kitchen/bathroom/frontroom, i'd go fucking mental after a week. Although to be fair if i had no choice, i would stay in one - but by no means would it be a perm solution.

Once i get settled in a Job, i plan on taking the mortgage off my father for the flat i live in. Only because it's completely ridiculous to rent, why pay out £500 a month on a property (for example a 2 bed house), when you could simple pay the same (or a little more), into a mortgage - and then in essence that money is still your. After 20 years, you'll have a house that's fully paid for and worth £180,000 not bad. (I know it's really not as simple as that, but i'm looking at it in a really simplistic way, because inessence that's what happens.)
    Or after 20 years of renting, you're still renting and you've no equity.

The problem lies with the banks, but they can't lend more money out that people can't pay.
  • Options
    I think its actually quite hard for someone in their 30's and 40's to be able to rustle up £100k with any form of ease. I kind of agree with Shikari's point regards government regulating something that you own, however the put up and deal with it attitude doesn't work all that well. If you are renting out a house you own, then you are providing a service of sorts and one thing I do agree with the government in having a part in, is stopping people being exploited by others, which quite often happens in the landlord/tennant world.

Unfortunately whilst I would love to see the government having lesser involvement in peoples lives, it would work fine if the world did work as it should (ie people being nice to each other), except it doesnt and I doubt it ever well. Ying and Yang and all that jazz, there will always be nice people in the world, and also nasty people ready to exploit them. Call me pessimistic, but its what I think.
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/09/generation-rent-locked-out-home-ownership

Saw this on guardian website today, thought it was at least a little bit interesting.
  • Options
    Shikari - I think you're in an extremely privileged position. Where I live you're lucky if you can even find somewhere shared for that price! The amount of people I know who are being turfed out at the end of January because they can't meet the most recent rent hike issued by their landlord is frightening! More and more people are being forced to rely upon not just housing benefit but the council to house them. I understand landlords have mortgages to repay - but so many have taken out recklessly high mortgages and not buy to let ones either, which mean they have to put rents high to make ends meet. It shouldn't work like that, and frankly you can say nanny state as much as you like but I want regulations till the cows come home - I have been shafted by too many landlords.
  • Options
    did anyone see the george clark The Great British Property Scandal program on channel 4 recently?

I found it shocking how many terraced houses are being knocked down around the country. he was showing how you can relatively cheaply and easily bring old houses up to modern living standards instead of just knocking them down for new ones.

good video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e82xiYVHLzQ
  • Options
    I didn't see the show but I know of a few people who are making at least some money out of doing places up rather than building fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Options
    [url]Http://goo.gl/mxm1Q[/url]

My prediction of 30% fall in real terms may be accurate. Hopefully not too many renters get fleeced.