Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What unpopular opinions do you have?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that marriage should be renewed every five years.
    I think there is ample evidence that the holocaust took place, it's a pretty grim and eye opening thing to visit a concentration camp, certainly made it clear for me.

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Feel free to disagre with others and say why you disagree if you like :p, but this is an anything goes thread and I'm hoping to keep it that way without getting too 'heavy'. I would also like us to consider it a 'safe space' for sharing of opinions if that's ok? :)

It is a safe place but if people are posting 'unpopular' opinions then I think a response whether positive or negative is to be expected. And straight after that 'unpopular' opinion I judged Shikari to be a nutter and put him on ignore :)
    Scented body spray should be banned.
    I got put on ignore for posting an unpopular opinion, oh my geezzz. Some people shouldn't be allowed internets.
    Shikari wrote: »
    Prove me wrong.

My grandma survived a labour camp which killed the majority of her immediate and extended family.

I assure you that the holocaust happened.
    Shikari, that is enough. You have gone far too far. Not just holocaust denial, which is not an opinion it is a crime in some countries (as well it should be). But posting photos of suicide methods is completely unacceptable. You will stop and now.
    People who can't bay park, should have their car crushed into a cube and placed in the exact centre of the space with a note that says "learn to park"
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Shikari, that is enough. You have gone far too far. Not just holocaust denial, which is not an opinion it is a crime in some countries (as well it should be). But posting photos of suicide methods is completely unacceptable. You will stop and now.

If you think that that user is a troll, then it's best to try not feeding it. It's better to report a post that you find offensive than to front up and raise the thread temperature unneccessarily, when you can't enforce what you're saying. If they are trolling, then you've just provided the perfect sparky reaction.

The thread was about "unpopular opinions". It's pointless having such a thread if you're going to rage when someone posts an unpopular opinion that goes beyond an abritrary line of unpopular.

I think we tried prison island before. It become known as Australia, and is now a pretty neat place to live.

I'll throw in - road-using cyclists should require a recognised level of competence.
    abandon_thread_1_by_mezkalito4p-d4c1g8v.gif
    The maximum age should be 72, and there should be a state cull to enforce it.

Solves a lot of the nhs, pension, hospice, elderly care and inheritance tax problems.
    There should be a license for using supermarket trolleys
    That bus drivers should be allowed to refuse to serve anyone whose English skills are so poor they cannot buy a single to town without looking confused.
    Anyone who has voted on x factor or has bought a Jessie J song/album should lose their right to vote and go to the supermarket.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Swans are evil.

Yes they are! I got bitten by one as a toddler when I was merrily throwing it some bread. Stupid swan :(
    not a bad plan. Wonder why they never thought of it before ;) :P

they did. I do believe it was called Australia. Family history shows one of my ancestors stole some trousers so him and his family got sent to Australia. I think they lost a child on the boat over too. Bit grim, and this was a few hundred years ago.
    they did. I do believe it was called Australia. Family history shows one of my ancestors stole some trousers so him and his family got sent to Australia. I think they lost a child on the boat over too. Bit grim, and this was a few hundred years ago.

I think Suzy was being sarcastic, hence the winky face :)
    The maximum age should be 72, and there should be a state cull to enforce it.

Solves a lot of the nhs, pension, hospice, elderly care and inheritance tax problems.

the maximum age of what? that a person should be allowed to live to?
    I think people just decided it was a troll thread in the end. Guess we can move it to waste time and go on about the funnies. On other forums it normally conjures interesting debates but nvm.
    Kaff wrote: »
    I think people should need a licence to be able to have kids.
    wondering if you would go as far as to say forced abortions or adoptions for those that didnt have a licence, and how would you decide on what the criteria were, since so many people have wildly different ideas on what is acceptable practice, let alone good practice. Would the criteria change from government to government?

At least with dogs, you have the option to not get one. Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time
    Mist wrote: »
    The thread was about "unpopular opinions". It's pointless having such a thread if you're going to rage when someone posts an unpopular opinion that goes beyond an abritrary line of unpopular.

But then the point of a messageboard is to respond surely, otherwise this would just be a thread full of unconnected bullshit.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think people just decided it was a troll thread in the end. Guess we can move it to waste time and go on about the funnies. On other forums it normally conjures interesting debates but nvm.

what are you talking about? I can't see anybody trolling apart from maybe shikari. I think people have done what you asked for - post unpopular opinions, and I can see it leading to some interesting debate. that post makes you sound like you are throwing your toys out of the pram tbh :p
    But then the point of a messageboard is to respond surely, otherwise this would just be a thread full of unconnected bullshit.

Respond and debate the points in question, sure. But telling someone to "stop posting now" is not really a debate.
    Mist wrote: »
    Respond and debate the points in question, sure. But telling someone to "stop posting now" is not really a debate.

But I didn't. I called him a troll and blocked. Unless you mean Fiend, but she has a point.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Here's my unpopular opinion:
    There's no reason for it to be a crime, unless it's also a crime to believe that dinosaurs didn't exist or that the crusades never happened.
    I don't think denying the holocaust ever happened is comparable at all. What the OP said is anti-semitic. I'm not going to ignore an anti-semitic remark for the sake of keeping this thread light and airy.
    I don't think denying the holocaust ever happened is comparable at all. What the OP said is anti-semitic. I'm not going to ignore an anti-semitic remark for the sake of keeping this thread light and airy.
    I can imagine people who are not racist or against any kind of ethnicity at all and still think it didn't. Saying that someone is lying may be an insult to them but it doesn't mean you don't respect them as a person.
    I agree that most people who say it didn't happen are anti-Semitic and most people who are anti-Semitic say it didn't happen but I can't believe there's a 100% intersection between the two groups.

EDIT: Besides that, if being anti-Semitic is illegal, why is it not illegal as well to be anti-any-other-group-of-people?
    I can safely tell you all Shikari is just trying to piss everyone off... There's no point having a huge debate about it. He's just being a dick, it's what he enjoys doing.
    I can safely tell you all Shikari is just trying to piss everyone off... There's no point having a huge debate about it. He's just being a dick, it's what he enjoys doing.
    I believe you, but it did remind me of my own unpopular opinion that I wanted to post.
    I can imagine people who are not racist or against any kind of ethnicity at all and still think it didn't. Saying that someone is lying may be an insult to them but it doesn't mean you don't respect them as a person.
    I agree that most people who say it didn't happen are anti-Semitic and most people who are anti-Semitic say it didn't happen but I can't believe there's a 100% intersection between the two groups.

EDIT: Besides that, if being anti-Semitic is illegal, why is it not illegal as well to be anti-any-other-group-of-people?

I can see no other reason to hold that view point.

I never said it was illegal. If OP posted something racist or homophobic then I'd expect it to be treated in the same way.