Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

January Film Club Nominations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey guys, this months theme doesn't contract very well, but basically its "upbeat, underdogs win, based on a truish story, let's go get 2013". Make sense?

Format for nominations, trailer from youtube (or similar) with cert. Followed by reason for nomination.

As usual some films will be a 15 or 18 cert so don't watch them if you're not supposed too. Of the nominations there will be two winners and only one will be an 18 if voted that way.

Go go go!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ooo oooo!!

The Shawshank Redemption (15) 1994

from imdb: Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency.

Changeling (15) 2008

from imdb: A grief-stricken mother takes on the LAPD to her own detriment when it stubbornly tries to pass off an obvious impostor as her missing child, while also refusing to give up hope that she will find him one day.

Almost Famous (15) 2000

from imdb: A high-school boy is given the chance to write a story for Rolling Stone Magazine about an up-and-coming rock band as he accompanies it on their concert tour.
    and a friend's suggestion.. that looks rather good from the trailer

City of God (18) 2002

from imdb: Two boys growing up in a violent neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro take different paths: one becomes a photographer, the other a drug dealer.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I think this fits the bill...

Cool Runnings (PG) 1993.
    Based on the true story of the First Jamacian bobsled team trying to make it to the winter olympics.

:d
    Wow changeling looks awesome
    Yay Cool Runnings!! :D
    **helen** wrote: »
    I think this fits the bill...

Cool Runnings (PG) 1993.

:d

Dammit, Helen, you stole my nomination! Now I'll have to actually think or something.
    Coach Carter (12a)
    Ken Carter in this drama about a failing inner-city school. When the tough, no-nonsense coach decides to take extreme measures to improve his team's poor academic performance, he makes national news. Although the team is undefeated, Carter locks them out of the gymnasium in an attempt to focus their minds on their studies, and to show them a world beyond drugs, gangs and even basketball.

Miracle (PG)
    Uplifting sports drama based on real events. Kurt Russell stars as Herb Brooks, the ice hockey player who became an inspirational coach and led the 1980 US Olympic Ice Hockey team into competition against the seemingly invincible Soviet squad.
    1. Schindler's list (15)

Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List stars Liam Neeson as Oskar Schindler, who becomes unlikely humanitarian amid the barbaric Nazi reign when he feels compelled to turn his factory into a refuge for Jews. Based on the true story of Oskar Schindler who managed to save about 1100 Jews from being gassed at the Auschwitz concentration camp. A testament for the good in all of us.
    Schindler's List won seven Oscars at the 66th Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108052/

2. Braveheart (15)

Braveheart is a 1995 epic historical drama film directed by and starring Mel Gibson. Gibson portrays William Wallace, a 13th-century Scottish warrior who led the Scots in the First War of Scottish Independence against King Edward I of England.
    The movie was nominated for ten Oscars and won five.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112573/
    Sam, we need the certificate and the reason for nominating those films. At first glance they don't seem to fit the bill...
    I edited it in post above along with the trailer and imdb link. :)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    *simba* wrote: »
    I edited it in post above along with the trailer and imdb link. :)

Happy days
    Umm, I'm going to close the nominations on wednesday, for voting ok?

Pan's Labyrinth (15) I don't want to spoil the ending but the little girl gets to be happy even though her stepfather's evil.

Edit: I just reread Fiend's post. It's a fairy story so it's not based on a true story, although the Spanish Civil War is featured a lot in it. Feel free to discount it :(

Also Juno! (15)
    Shawshank Redemption was the greatest film to never have won an oscar, fact!
    Some great nominations!

How about:

127 Hours (15)

From IMDb: "A mountain climber becomes trapped under a boulder while canyoneering alone near Moab, Utah and resorts to desperate measures in order to survive. " It is based on a true story (written as a book before being adapted for the screen).

The Way (12A)

From IMDb: "A father heads overseas to recover the body of his estranged son who died while traveling the "El camino de Santiago," and decides to take the pilgrimage himself. " Despite this description it is generally a light hearted story, which I think is loosely based on a true story- indeed, the path and pilgrimage exists. And it will give you itchy feet!
    Into the Wild 2007 (15)

from IMDB: After graduating from Emory University, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandons his possessions, gives his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that shape his life.
    The Blind Side (12)

IMDb- The story of Michael Oher, a homeless and traumatized boy who became an All American football player and first round NFL draft pick with the help of a caring woman and her family.
    Shawshank Redemption is not a true story.....its based on Stephen king's book.

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption is a novella by Stephen King, from his collection Different Seasons (1982), subtitled Hope Springs Eternal. It was adapted for the screen in 1994 as The Shawshank Redemption, which was nominated for seven Academy Awards in 1994, including Best Picture. In 2009, it was adapted for the stage as the play The Shawshank Redemption.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_movie_The_Shawshank_Redemption_a_true_story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shawshank_Redemption
    Ah i read true(ish) as being allowed to be untrue but we can whip it off nominations :)
    grace wrote: »
    Pan's Labyrinth (15)

OMG, that's a film I never want to see again, beautifully made, but I just wanted the whole world to die after I saw it.
    Ah i read true(ish) as being allowed to be untrue but we can whip it off nominations :)
    Yup, true(ish) things that are sort of true probably beleivable. Frankly the film version of braveheart bears only a passing resemblance to history...
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Yup, true(ish) things that are sort of true probably beleivable. Frankly the film version of braveheart bears only a passing resemblance to history...

Aye. And whilst the Spanish Civil War did happen, not sure you can call Pan's Labyrinth 'true'.

But then, truths exist in everything [/lamephilosophising]
    piccolo wrote: »
    Aye. And whilst the Spanish Civil War did happen, not sure you can call Pan's Labyrinth 'true'.

But then, truths exist in everything [/lamephilosophising]

I know, I only read that bit after :(
    grace wrote: »
    I know, I only read that bit after :(

Oh, I didn't meant it as a criticism. I meant, it ought to be allowed for the same reason Shawshank seems to have been :)

It's a damn good film, too.

Erm! I just mentioned a fact.....true or not, the basic thing is they're inspirational. Haven't seen pan's labyrinths so, can't comment on that but, if its inspirational why not?
    I liked shawshank too and many other movies which aren't my nominations so, I'm cool with whichever movie gets selected or goes for nominations. :)
    OMG, that's a film I never want to see again, beautifully made, but I just wanted the whole world to die after I saw it.

I started watching that film thinking it was a kid's movie!!

Will hijack poor Fiend now and close the nominations. The poll goes up tonight guys :)
    Will hijack poor Fiend now and close the nominations. The poll goes up tonight guys :)

WHY!?!?! Wasn't I doing a good job?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    WHY!?!?! Wasn't I doing a good job?

Nah. You brought the whole thing down :P

I didn't see you online and thought I should mend my lazy film club ways instead of leaving everything to you of course <3
    Nah. You brought the whole thing down :P

I didn't see you online and thought I should mend my lazy film club ways instead of leaving everything to you of course <3

Damn straight, think having a baby is some sort of excuse to not pull your weight. Now go do a sticky thread like Piccolo's cos I don't want to.