Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

drying clothes inside

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We have a problem with mould in our flat (which the landlord is getting sorted this month..) so I'm really conscientious about opening windows during the day to air the rooms but like most mould wars; it's a neverending battle.

How are people drying their clothes this winter without a tumble dryer? We do have a communal washing line outside but it seems futile with the cold temperature and sporadic rain showers. I put them on airers inside but the landlord *tactfully* pointed out that it wasn't going to help the mould issue.

I thought I had an ideal solution by putting the airers out on our little porch but after 3 days stuff is still damp. Gah.

The only solution I can see is insisting to the landlord that we need an extractor to be put into the bathroom and drying stuff on the airer in there.

Anyone else have any tips? Maybe my most boring domesticated thread ever...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Apart from hanging them near a radiator and rotating them regularly I don't really know. I often find myself quickly blasting clothes with the hair dryer when they've been hung up for a few days and are still a bit damp when I need them.
    There's no special trick to it, you need warmth + some degree of air flow. Warmth on its own will mostly not be that great, it'd encourage fusty smells. Stick the clothes on or near a radiator and open a window nearby / use a fan to circulate air.
    Also, a bowl of cat litter or a pot of silica gel will take out some of the excess moisture in the air - change it regularly.
    Drying clothes inside won't help mould but it should be ok if you open windows. Generally drying in a warm bathroom with the window open will be ok, as the bathroom should be designed to cope with the moisture.
    Yeah I am sticking to the bathroom with the airer in the bath for now; especially after the landlord puts in an extractor fan because at the moment it also gets mould despite having the window open the majority of the day to air it out.

Piccolo I will try the kitty litter idea! We have tons of the stuff
    We normally get the clothes out if the weather is mild outside, if not, we put it on a rack thingy and put the heater on for a bit to get the dampness out so they don't smell of damp!
    'tactfully' point out to the landlord that youd really like something done about the damp problem.
    Is it possible to move?
    you don't actually need warmth, my mum used to dry nappies on the line, even when they'd freeze. What you need is airflow, and low humidity - if you're getting mould then you probably don't have these. Draughty old houses are the answer.
    I have exactly the same problem only I don't have windows to open :(
    Is it possible to move?

We've just moved in like 2 months ago and then the problem started. He sent a guy round to look at the mould and he's decided on the initial work that needs to be done (air vents, ripping down some of the wallpaper bedroom and cleaning it with anti fungal stuff, ventiliation in the bathroom). Because all this happened before Christmas and now we're just into the New Year it's been a slow process. I think I'm just getting antsy because I'm 36 weeks pregnant now and need it done now because baby could arrive at any time now and I dont want work men in the house or mould when we have a new born. So ringing him tomorrow to point this out
    I have the same problem, sometimes i have stuff on the line for over a week cos every time its almost dry, it rains, also, I have dried inside just using heat but that takes longer and the clothes can stink a bit and then need washing again :banghead: as you do need air circulating around so I seem to be in and out in response to the weather...

Im considering to start using a launderette but thats proberly expensive and labourious...

Dont let the landlord put too much blame your way the problem is proberly because of poor insulation or a leak?

My landlord kept telling me to stop drying my clothes inside and 6 months later they found a burst pipe under the house!
    Yeah they always like to shift the blame. Tried ringing him yesterday and left an answer phone message. Something I saw online which looked pretty good but wouldnt solve problem of damp http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21736/Dry-Soon-3-Tier-Heated-Tower-Airer Not sure whether it'd help you? Roll on Summer weather!

Thank for the link. The work man he sent round said it was caused by condensation and not us. Left a message on the landlord's answer phone yesterday and will keep trying to ring today. He does seem to be an alright landlord and is planning to have the work needed done. And I can appreciate the delay with it being New Year but he needs to get it sorted before the new arrival.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Just don't do this. It's not good for you.
    Just don't do this. It's not good for you.

read that today. oh dear