Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Easy sewing projects for beginners

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Following on from my other threads, what are easy sewing projects for beginners?

I can think of - needle case for sewing needles
knitting needle case
cushion
I think I made a washbag at school
jewellery roll

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Tote bag, simple skirt, place mats?

Customising/embellishing projects are good starter projects, too!

And I reccommend Pinterest for lots of handy tutorials and links :)
  • Options
    I tried to hem a square of fabric yesterday and almost ruined it. Lost my confidence already.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I tried to hem a square of fabric yesterday and almost ruined it. Lost my confidence already.

Hemming can be quite hard! Did you press the hem up first? That and using a foot with a guide (blind hem foot or 1/4" seam foot) to guide against the folded up edge are my tips for lovely hems :)
  • Options
    Wrong time of year now really ;) But maybe Christmas decorations? Little sewn gingerbread men or something :P
  • Options
    Bunting!

YSH's gingerbread men reminded me :)
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Hemming can be quite hard! Did you press the hem up first? That and using a foot with a guide (blind hem foot or 1/4" seam foot) to guide against the folded up edge are my tips for lovely hems :)

Yes, I did. The problem was that the stitches were really tight, and the weave on the fabric is looser than I'd realised.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Bunting!

YSH's gingerbread men reminded me :)

Oh yes, I have a nephew so my sister would probably like boat bunting!
  • Options
    Today I have made 7 triangles for bunting (waiting for the postman to delivery more festive fabric and bias binding to do more), a sewing needle case and a pin cushion!

It was really fun.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Today I have made 7 triangles for bunting (waiting for the postman to delivery more festive fabric and bias binding to do more), a sewing needle case and a pin cushion!

It was really fun.

Postie bought the bias binding today so I finished it. It looks great and was so much fun and a really good way to practice straight lines! Thanks for that idea.
  • Options
    I just covered a notebook in fabric using a pattern from Liberty Home Sewing Book. I tried yesterday without success, it was because I was too tired to measure properly so I was being impatient but today it has gone well. Shame the notebook isn't more attractive on the inside (it's my budgeting / household finances notebook lol).