Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Happy 'politically correct' Festive greetings

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Just saw this on FB - made me :lol:
I wanted to send some sort of holiday greeting to friends and family, but it is difficult in today's world to know exactly what to say without offending someone. So I met with my lawyer yesterday, and on advice I wish to say the following : Please accept, with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress , non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday practised with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious / secular persuasion and / or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all .

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2013 (provided that the Mayans are wrong), but not without due respect for the calendar of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great (not to imply that Britain is necessarily greater than any other country) and without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee . By accepting this greeting, please be advised that you are accepting these terms : This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable on the proviso that there is no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for him/her or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. The wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher . Best Regards (without prejudice)

Name withheld (Privacy Act).

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I found that rather amusing, more so because I don't understand why Christmas can be such an offensive thing to people. It's often the case that those who use the term PC tend to be the only people that actually get offended at something.

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
    http://www.geordiebore.org.uk
    The bits of that I could understand...I found amusing...the rest..I just nodded and agreed I knew what it was about...;)
    That made me laugh hysterically :') You've no idea how much i appreciate this.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I found that rather amusing, more so because I don't understand why Christmas can be such an offensive thing to people. It's often the case that those who use the term PC tend to be the only people that actually get offended at something.
    Nobody is offended by it, and the stories are rarely actually true. This campaign against Christmas is entirely a fiction created by the newspapers, just like the whole "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" thing was. The problem is that you get a self-perpetuating circle, because well-meaning people read these baseless stories, and then send emails asking other people whether they should change something because others might find it offensive. There are actually schools that continue to sing Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep now, despite it being pretty well established that the entire thing was based on a made up story in the Daily Star in 1986.

Winterval, for example, was just a name that Birmingham City Council came up with to promote Christmas shopping in their city. At no point did it have anything to do with avoiding offence to non-Christians (of which there seem to be literally no examples of any ever getting offended by the prominence of Christmas in the UK) until the newspapers got their hands on the story.
    I remember somebody at university who was talking about a newspaper article that said Xmas lights offend Muslims, or something stupid... She said she'd never even thought to be offended and had no idea why somebody would think she was.

I kinda wonder who actually has been offended by this time of year... Or been made to feel uncomfortable by decorations. This is a Christian country after all.
    I always send out seasons greetings cards (which are a bitch to find) instead of Christmas cards, and I kind of made a joke of it by putting all the other holidays (Yule,Hannaka, Kwanzaa, etc) in too.

I think people just don't quite understand political correctness and end up still doing the normal things which offend people (lack of manners, just being a general dick) and then go too far.
    Nobody is offended by it, and the stories are rarely actually true. This campaign against Christmas is entirely a fiction created by the newspapers, just like the whole "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" thing was.

:yes:

I work in the greeting card industry, and every year there's a story in one of the papers about how all the cards say 'season's greetings' on now, and how card manufacturers won't use the word 'Christmas' anymore lest it offend someone. I can tell you for a fact that this is total guff. We produce somewhere in the region of 4000 different designs, of which maybe 25 will deliberately not mention Christmas. And the real reason they don't mention Christmas is because customers request them, normally to send to people who either don't celebrate Christmas, or who have a tough time at this time of year - maybe someone close died near Christmas time.

Just hatred-mongering from the papers, as per usual. Get all the borderline racists in the country foaming at the mouth.
    Kaff wrote: »

I work in the greeting card industry, and every year there's a story in one of the papers about how all the cards say 'season's greetings' on now, and how card manufacturers won't use the word 'Christmas' anymore lest it offend someone. I can tell you for a fact that this is total guff. We produce somewhere in the region of 4000 different designs, of which maybe 25 will deliberately not mention Christmas. And the real reason they don't mention Christmas is because customers request them, normally to send to people who either don't celebrate Christmas, or who have a tough time at this time of year - maybe someone close died near Christmas time.

Just hatred-mongering from the papers, as per usual. Get all the borderline racists in the country foaming at the mouth.

Aye. We had the opposite problem when I worked at Waterstones; although all the cards were overtly Christmas-sy none were religious and we had complaints for that.

The moral is, someone will always complain.
    This is now my status. Love it!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

potm methinks...
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Neddy wrote: »
    This is now my status. Love it!

:wave:
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian

I bought a pack of cards that had 'Seasons Greetings' written on, but in the end just ended up writing Merry Christmas over it. But I do agree with where you post is going, and your last point! :heart:
    aha i found some cool christmas cards which said - "happy whatever doesn't offend you".. and sent them to some friends :p