Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Frustrated with lack of sleep!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello..

So I have always had problems with not sleeping, but recently things have gotten so bad. The past couple of days i've had about 3 hours a night. I feel really rough, and tired. I feel ill but I don't know if that is linked to not sleeping.

I kind of feel frustrated by it, because I don't know why I don't sleep. I am used to not sleeping now.

Just don't know what to do anymore.. I have nytol but I'm not supposed to take them with my medication... because it makes me feel ill, but I get sleep. So like I don't know what to do..

Just looking for some advice really, because I don't know what else to do anymore

Thank you all x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Clairestephanie:wave:,

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with sleeping at the moment this must be as you say very frustrating and quite distressing for you.

Have you tried some techniques to naturally help you to sleep, these could be having a relaxing bath before bed, taking some exercise throughout the day, listening to some soothing music, try to have a milky drink before bed and not caffeine heavy drinks such as tea or coffee later on in the evening.

It is not a good idea to take Nytol if you have been advised against taking this as well as medication you have already been prescribed, Have you spoken to your G.P about the problems you are having sleeping ?, if not it may be worth doing so just to get some professional advice from them.:heart:

Please let us know how things are going for you and remember there is always someone hear for you at The Site*hug*.

Take Care,
    B.:thumb:
    Thank you for your reply.

Yeah I have tried lots of things to help me sleep, nothing seems to help. I go through stages where I hardly sleep and other times sleep really good.
    I talked to my doctor a while back, she wasnt that helpful and basically said its not consistent for her to be able to help. And Im not gonna speak to her again about it.

I haven't been advised to not take nytol. I just noticed on the info leaflet it said to not take with anti depressiants.

I work full time in a nursery looking after children (2years olds) and its hard work on about 2,3 hours sleep a night. When I work 8.5 / 9 hour days.

I am just getting so frustrated and it's getting me so down. :(

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    I sometimes take sleeping tablets with my antidepressants. Id try speaking to your doctor as generic leaflets in over the counter medication are VERY over cautious for some things.

Your doctor would give you more specific guidelines tailored to you.
    Have you thought about asking to see a different doctor, because they should be able to help. I have various sleeping pills that I take on an occasional basis, and in my experience, doctors are far more likely to be able to help for occasional insomnia than anything longer term.

I would take the occasional nytol (i find sominex better out of the otc ones) as the most important thing is you get sleep
    Thanks for your reply!
    I kinda want to talk to my doctor but I am just worried from past experiences.

I haven't tried sominax, maybe try that. Yeah to be honest I have given up with trying to sleep now.

Im finding lots of productive things to do while I cant sleep. Blogging and using tumblr :) hehe.

you should never feel worried about talking to your doctor. If there are other doctors in your surgery, i suggest asking to see a different one. They would usually do this without question. Sleep is so important, especially if youre depressed, as lack of sleep can be a major trigger.
    How long have you been on antidepressants, and whch ones are you on?
    Hmmm been on them for quite a while. Im on citalopram..

Yeah Im not sure I am depressed cause of lack of sleep, I just get a bit annoyed.

I recommend reading a book called

Happiness in harder times :)
    I can never really get into books. Whats it about ?

I've come to the conclusion that sleep hates me :(
    Why can't I sleep. I feel tired... Soo chuffing frustrating!!

They do say that any number of reasons can stop you from either getting to sleep, or having good quality sleep once you nod off. Some are easily solved and others perhaps not. What happens afterwards is a different matter. I have found in my personal experience that once you have had a few bad nights sleep, or good but not enough sleep, the worry about not getting to sleep is more harmful to your ability to sleep than the original problem may have been in the first place.

I hope the above makes sense, I find that I have often dropped off to snooze for short periods of time without realising it. Just as is the case with one of my friends who swore blindly that he never got to sleep before 3am, but was infact snoring his head off by 11pm, just happen to be some helicopters that flew over our tent at 02:55 most mornings lol.

If I know that I'm really struggling to get to sleep, I sometimes get up and have a walk around if possible and do something. Nothing to strenuous, but do try to avoid TV screen and laptops/mobiles etc as they will likely make it even harder to get yourself to sleep. These days when I try to go to bed, if im watching a film I tend to watch it with the lights off, and often find myself waking up after having fallen asleep during it!
    Yeah it makes sense, Thank you for you're reply as well :)

Sooo... everything I am doing, I should stop. I tend to go on my phone, when I can't sleep. But I have started to move my phone from where I can easily access it. Have put it over the other side of my room. So I have to get out of bed to get it. Maybe now I will take it out of the room full stop and put it downstairs lol.

Helicopters over your tent? :s Are you in the army or something ?
    does noisse disturb you? Earplugs help some people
    Na noise doesnt bother me. When Im asleep I sleep through anything.

Ahh but I think what suze might have been suggesting is noises that stop you getting to sleep, rather than something that wakes you up in the night. Much like on some weekends when I'm on camp and there is loud music on, rather than complain about it I just put ear plugs in and doze off quite easily.
    I can't fall asleep without noise. So I have my TV set to a timer, and then I fall asleep to that. Well usually it works but at the minute I can't seem to get to sleep til about 3am, which isn't good.

But I do feel as though I am just used to not sleeping long, because I don't feel tired that often. Crazy I know! lol.