Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Creative new year goals for 2013

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello creatives,

Has anyone thought about New Years goals / resolutions for 2013?

Mine is to knit my Ravelry queue and works in progress. There are 15 in total. It sounds easy considering I knit 42 finished items this year but several of these have new skills in or are going to take a while.

Also planning to paint / collage / draw in oil pastels but I haven't formulated a specific goal for this other than to make sure I allow myself time for doing it. I created an art space in my flat a few months ago (which basically entailed moving the furniture around whilst I was drunk) which I'm finding very helpful. I've done quite a bit of art recently.

Maybe you have specific items you want to make / want to use up your stash of yarn or wood / want to give yourself more time for your creative hobby / want to invest in better equipment / want to learn specific new skills. One year I decided to learn to knit socks which I now do quite easily, another I decided to learn crochet but I'm still terrible at it and just use my crochet hooks to pick up dropped stitches in knitting.

:)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re-learn how to crochet then make something useful rather than endless woolen squares!
    ninaballet wrote: »
    Re-learn how to crochet then make something useful rather than endless woolen squares!
    Could you sew the woolen squares together to make a scarf or a blanket?

I don't know if you use Ravelry.com but there are loads of free crochet pattarns on there that are searchable so you are bound to find something useful that you like on there.

Happy crafting :)
    I really want to learn to knit, but having fallen out with my mum I don't think there's much chance of that happening :(
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    Could you sew the woolen squares together to make a scarf or a blanket?

I don't know if you use Ravelry.com but there are loads of free crochet pattarns on there that are searchable so you are bound to find something useful that you like on there.

Happy crafting :)

I did do that to make a cushion but then I couldn't find anything to put inside it and now its missing :( Ooo thanks! I'll have a look :)
    ninaballet wrote: »
    I did do that to make a cushion but then I couldn't find anything to put inside it and now its missing :( Ooo thanks! I'll have a look :)

Cushion sounds lovely :)

You can get cushion pads (just the middle bit without the cover) in PoundStrecher or Ikea for about £2-£3 if you have one of those near you?
    I really want to learn to knit, but having fallen out with my mum I don't think there's much chance of that happening :(

www.knittinghelp.com
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

The Internet helped me learn. YouTube videos and knittinghelp.com are invaluable resources.
    Thanks Littlemissy and Franki, I'll have a look :) maybe next Christmas I might have managed to knit someone a scarf :D
    Definatly what the others have said, youtube and knittinghelp. I learned online and by books only (and asking littlemissy many many questions :p).

If you have some spare change, or a library card, check out stitch n bitch as well. I still use the book on occasion when I forget something. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/stitchn-bitch-THE-KNITTERS-HANDBOOK-Stoller-knitting-pattern-book-hand-knit-/181050813611?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2a27782cab

Ebay is also good for picking up needles on the cheap.

As for my goals, I got the yarn to make this for Christmas, so I shall start on that soon, and many many socks.
    If I can find my copy of Stitch n Bitch, BA, do you want it?

My goals for 2013 are to try and finish one small thing (socks, gloves, hat etc.) every month. I also have a(nother) baby blanket to make before May that's a little more ambitious than my last one, and a sweater that I had commissioned. Plus I just bought the yarn to make a sweater for me, and I need to get on with my Rock Island shawl.
    If you're sure that's okay that'd be awesome Franki, thank you :)
    If you're sure that's okay that'd be awesome Franki, thank you :)

Of course! PM me an address and I'll see if I can find it :)