Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Chest pains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, I've had this before, and it went away for a while but recently it's started again. They seem to occur at random, and last a few hours at least.
On Christmas eve I started getting them again, sharp pressing pains just below my breast bone, along with the feeling I get in my tummy when I'm nervous.
It gets worse just after I've eaten, or when I'm lying down.
I've found that heavy breathing does not help, but shallow breathing, or holding my breath does help.
It's really bad at night. I mean like I cant sleep, because it keeps waking me up, and it feels like I'm having a panic attack or something. Well, I do dream about my worst fears every night.
Putting pressure on it helps, and lying face down is better than lying on my back.
I don't smoke or anything, but my mum used to when I was a baby.
I'm a teenager, so it can't be old age.
Are chest pains a symptom of any blood borne diseases? I cut myself pretty much every day, and I've used razors that have been used by other people, so wouldn't that put me at risk or something?
I don't like these chest pains and stuff. They're scary, and I haven't even told anybody.
I don't want to tell my mum, and I have a huge phobia of doctors/hospitals/medical things, so I wan't to avoid taking a trip to the doctors. But does anyone think it's worth visiting my GP??

What's your opinion?
Is it more likely to have a physical cause, or just be anxiety?

Comments

• AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Hi demolish,

It might be worth giving NHS direct a ring. They will be able to advise and give you a few ideas to at least let you know what is going on, they can be phoned about any issue, and it doesn't need to be an emergency. They might advise you to get in touch with your GP afterwards, but it's nice to have that reassurance either way.

Give them a call on 0845 46 47.

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on