Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Telling mum?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, So...My mum keeps asking me the typical.."Em why don't you bring any boys home"...and I've ran out of excuses..I wan't to tell her that I won't bring boys home because...I'm gay. but..My mum and dad are both homophobics...so its awkward...

I don't know what..I should..do? do i go on pretending to be.."straight"...or just tell her?

Comments

• Options
    Tell her you havent met any boys you want to bring home. Thats sort of the truth isnt it?
  • Options
    Tried that....

she got my aunt to try setting me up with someone..BIG fail
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If you're sure they're homophobes, my advice would be to say nothing and wait until the earliest time you can get out of there (with no trouble to yourself, like ending up homeless). Don't let them know till then.
    But what do I know...
  • Options
    tell them youre not interested in boys particularly.

then leave it at that.
  • Options
    There's no rush, she can ask away, but if you're not ready, and you're worried about their reaction don't tell them right now. There's a lot going on.

I did come out to my family until I was 21, just because there was no need. Wait until it's a little bit calmer, you're a little bit older and more certain of yourself (not your sexuality necessarily, just stuff) and then if they still need to know tell them.
  • Options
    Hey Emmalee

I think Fiend is spot on :yes:
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    There's no rush, she can ask away, but if you're not ready, and you're worried about their reaction don't tell them right now.

Coming out is all about telling people when you feel ready to, and not before.

I think the other really important thing to bear in mind is that people can surprise you. Sometimes someone takes it really well when you think they won't and vice versa. There's no true way to know how someone will react until you've told them.

Have you got anyone you could talk to about coming out to your parents? Any friends or family that you've already come out to?

If not, maybe there's an LGBT+ advice line in your local area that you could call for a listening ear and some friendly advice? If you don't know any, our local advice finder or Stonewall should be able to help you find one.

You might also want to check out rucomingout, a relatively new site that's collecting stories of people's experience of coming out to help those who are thinking about coming out.

Whatever you decide is right for you, remember that we're here as well to support you every step of the way :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone

oh and Indrid..I don't live with them anyways