Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Casual Rant about college

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
This could probably be placed in a few different friends but I'm gonna have a moan about my college right now because I'm clearly that Awesome.

So I'm studying level 3 health and social care at a rather posh college. Its my first year of studying this subject at this particular level but last year I studied at a completly different college. They referred me to a counsellor staight away because my learning mentor suspected I had some sort of eating disorder..(which of course is complete lies) the support was really good at that college you had "Learning mentors, learning support, counsellors and a meeting with your tutor for 30 mnutes every 4 weeks" What does posh college have? A counsellor that only special people and attend.

Why did I move colleges:banghead:

College are aware of the "struggles" I have like they know I have depression and that I'm a young carer and even know about the shit with my brother. I once told a teacher I felt suicidal. but they still never referred me to the counsellor and no matter how many times I say "I want to speak to a counsellor" they don't let me speak to one.

The people in my class are actual bullies. theres a group of them and as soon as I walk into the classroom they snigger and say things about/to me. They steal my coursework and tell the teachers lies about me. They even throw things at me and make me feel like a worthless peice of shit. The teachers notice its happening but dont give a shit.

So my attendance gets lower and lower and lower and Im struggling to do my coursework but nobody will help me..
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Do you think your old college would take you back?

You seem to have been a little better supported there. Otherwise, is there any kind of student advice service independent of your tutor? Or a local branch of Connexions?

You recognise that you need - and are entitled to have - support for your depression and family situation, which is really encouraging. I hope you find someone who will listen.
  • Options
    They won't let me back its to far in the year, plus I had to leave because of the fact I didn't meet the expected requirements. I only managed to get into this college because the person who did my results read them wrong and put my grades higher then they was and I never corrected them.

We have student services which is like an office and all they are there fore is for you to say if you're not going to be in college for a certain day.
  • Options
    Have you tried talking to your GP? Or any local young carers services?
  • Options
    Have you considered taking a bit of time out and starting afresh? A lot of young carers disrupt their education, let alone the additional pressures you're under with your health.
  • Options
    Have you tried talking to your GP? Or any local young carers services?

I've been to my GP in may time he sent a referral of for CAMHS and yes I accsess youngcarers.net
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Have you considered taking a bit of time out and starting afresh? A lot of young carers disrupt their education, let alone the additional pressures you're under with your health.

I wanted to drop out but dad said "You're not leaving college and quitting your education because of me, I won't be around much longer and whilst I am I want to make sure you achieve your full potential"
  • Options
    Emmalee wrote: »
    I wanted to drop out but dad said "You're not leaving college and quitting your education because of me, I won't be around much longer and whilst I am I want to make sure you achieve your full potential"

I'm not talking about quitting, though. Just deferring - in order that you can achieve your full potential.
  • Options
    Heyy :wave:

Have you spoken to your Dad about the possibility of deferring and how it would benefit you, as Piccolo suggested?

My parents were very much the same - when I was 17, I had lots of family issues, I almost lost a friend to suicide and then I went through a phase that in hindsight I think was bordering on depression...I wanted to leave college to sort myself out but my parents demanded I stayed in education. For the first time, I went against what they wanted and deferred after the first term - when I went back to college the following Sept - I was in a much better frame of mind, I had the uni goal in my head and I achieved much more than even I thought was possible...needless to say my parents admitted they were wrong and could see how I had made the right choice for me.

Also, are there any possibilities your original college would accept you back for the new academic year if you were to defer? I know you said your grades didn't meet entry requirements but I would imagine they take mitigating circumstances into consideration??

I hope you get it sorted xx