Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being accompanied by someone in possession of illegal drugs ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a father of a 20 year old boy, who has started hanging around with a group of lads who i think are possibly doing or selling. I'm quite suspicious about it, although i could be completely wrong, but i need to make him aware of the consequences if he is...

So what are the laws if he is in fact in with the wrong bunch, and police do get involved even if he is nothing to do with the drugs, just accompanied with them?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not illegal to be around people who are in posession of drugs, but it will cause problems for him.

He will quickly become recognised as an associate of the dealers, which at the very least will increase the number of times he's stopped and searched by the police. If his mates come round to your house then the same will, unfortunately go for you.
    You should also make it clear to him to never be in possession of drugs, as that would get him in trouble. Even if he's just holding them for a friend. Which is worse, because he could get done for possesion with intent to supply.
    Just hanging round with people who do drugs, is just not a good road to go down.
    Specially as more than likely, he'll be tempted to try it.
    There's always a risk that his friends would also try and dump their stash on him if the bizzies do come calling. Which is REALLY awkward.
    Hey, some good insights here. We've got some info you might also like to check out on Drugs and the Law.

The charity Release also offer free and confidential advice via their helpline on Drugs and the Law.

You mention being suspicious of him, I wonder what it might be like to find a time to have a chat with him about your worries? Approaching it from a place of concern rather than accusation if you can.. if he feels he can confide in you it might help going forward to reassure you.

All the best :thumb:
    It ultimately depends on how much you trust him. Some of my best friends use drugs, but I have made it very clear to them that I never want to use. Even if I am tempted and ask, don't let me try it. And I have tested them, they won't let me use. Just because they use drugs does not make them bad people.. they just might be confused, or have had some struggles in their lives. Usually people who hang around in those crowds do it because they can relate. Definitely tell him to be careful, but ultimately, he is 20. He is old enough to make this decision on his own