Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mental Health-Does professional help, really help that much?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just because they are a mental health professional, it doesn't mean they can give you a magical cure. I've never really had professional help but, I've spoke to my teachers and my friends about my self harm.
A professional is still a person, and when thinking about it, another person can't do a lot to help you. The most another person can do is be there for you o you want someone to talk you. The advice they'd give you is probably stuff you'd be able to find on the internet anyway. They can't change what you think. They can't change who you are, and they can't force you to do, or stop doing something. They couldn't make me stop harming myself.
I'd say recovering from something, or even making progress with something is down to you, and you alone. From my point of view, someone won't stop self harming if they don't want to stop. If you want something enough, you can find the determination to get there, with or without professional help.
Opinions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I really believe it can help. However, I think that it's crucial that someone is committed to it helping, and being helped. So I think you're right in the sense that if someone doesn't want help, doesn't want to get better, then they're standing in the way of progressing.

I think you're wrong when you say another person can't do a lot to help you. Most people have an inbuilt talent to be able to make others feel at least a little bit better by listening and "being there". However many mental health professionals have had years training on different techniques to be able help people a lot more, by helping them to think about the world in different ways - which can make them feel better.

If a person doesn't want to stop self-harming, then they probably won't. But if they want to get help for their problems, then it might just work.
    Someone on twitter said something which stuck in my head. You can't save someone from something they don't want to let go of. It's true. Professional pyschological help usually won't magically fix things, you're right.

What it can and does do, though, is help you productively use your own desire to get better. It can guide you into getting better by making sure you're using your energy effectively. Hand holding rather than a magic wand.
    :yes:

And there are many forms of professional help, depending on your age, condition, area, you might be offered any number of things. If the first thing you try doesn't make everything better, that's to be expected. And if you get better but relapse, you can always get more or different help later.
    dunno its hard to access cos it all involves paperwork and going places, which is really fucking hard
    I was really lucky that when things were at a point where I couldn't do paperwork or leave the house I had a CPN who came to me and did the paperwork with me. Getting to my GP to get that referral was really hard, though.