Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Minimum price plan to end cheap alcohol sales-Your say wanted.

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    for me,the number one killer of modern day pubs is not marketing or on the certain social groups. It's sky sports and other Sport networks. Sky demands you pay £2000 per month( On average) to show their games. That's excluding the fee you have to pay to legally show media entertainment in a public house. If you can't afford that? Tough, people will go to a pub that can. The pubs that can afford that have to raise their prices (including soft drinks) to cater to the extreme fee of such entertainment.

Such prices then force people to go to the supermarket.

Of course, not everyone wants to go to the pub and see football games, but those pubs who have those options do far better than those who don't. There are notable examples of other pubs without sports tv doing well, but they are in a minority.

Isn't that a circular argument. Pubs who pay for Sky get customers who pay for drinks and those that don't pay for it don't get people in

It's a bit like saying that cinema's who get surround sound get the punters in to watch the latest blockbuster and those who don't end up having to screen reruns of Laurel and Hardy movies to rapidly diminishing audiences

You invest to accumulate and Sky is just another investment...
    Isn't that a circular argument. Pubs who pay for Sky get customers who pay for drinks and those that don't pay for it don't get people in

It's a bit like saying that cinema's who get surround sound get the punters in to watch the latest blockbuster and those who don't end up having to screen reruns of Laurel and Hardy movies to rapidly diminishing audiences

You invest to accumulate and Sky is just another investment...

I'm not arguing that Sky/ESPN is a bad investment, I'm saying that for many pubs its their only option to survive and as such they have to raise their prices of alcohol which forces people into supermarkets.

For many pubs its not 'Just another investment'. Its an investment that will make or break your business.
    I'm not arguing that Sky/ESPN is a bad investment, I'm saying that for many pubs its their only option to survive and as such they have to raise their prices of alcohol which forces people into supermarkets.

For many pubs its not 'Just another investment'. Its an investment that will make or break your business.

In that case it's a no-brainer as an investment (though its also one of the USPs for pubs. Sure I can watch the rugby and down a beer at home, but it doesn't have the atmosphere of the pub aand its one of the reasons I;m willing to pay a premium for a pub beer)
    In that case it's a no-brainer as an investment (though its also one of the USPs for pubs. Sure I can watch the rugby and down a beer at home, but it doesn't have the atmosphere of the pub aand its one of the reasons I;m willing to pay a premium for a pub beer)

I agree, the atmosphere is better down a pub and so are they screen/sofa's/drinks so in hindsight the price you pay is fairly acceptable. But for those people who don't go to watch the game or don't want to pay such prices for alcohol then they would go to the supermarket for cheaper booze.

Which is the point I'm trying to get at, do you think its right for the government to raise prices to prevent certain people using it as a 'cheap' way to get drunk when many simply use the cheap prices to have the beer they cannot afford at their local houses. Especially when many people have mentioned 'The rich and the addicts will still pay'.

Thanks for the responses though everyone.
    Simple solution: abolish punitive taxation on the consumption of alcohol; then we might see people's true preferences for when, where and how they consume alcohol.
    Some of the better and popular pubs I go into do not show sports on TV. Infact, around here, there are bars who show sports and do get busy. However if it isnt match day then its dead. Where as some pubs are quite busy through most of the week. I think one preconception is that Sky Sports is the golden sword within the public house trade.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Simple solution: abolish punitive taxation on the consumption of alcohol; then we might see people's true preferences for when, where and how they consume alcohol.

I think the counter argument to this is plainly Russia where low price of high strength alcohol like vodka has been one of the factors leading to its alcoholism issues.

If we compare to Sweden where alcohol is extremely expensive, then we see that it has significantly fewer alcohol problems.

Generally increasing the cost of alcohol does reduce alcohol related problems.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/04/us-alcohol-prices-idUSTRE80321420120104
    Pubs are closing because Pubcos tie publicans into punitive contracts that prevent them from buying their supplies from the cheapest supplier. If a publican is lucky enough to make a go of it despite this tie, the Pubco just bangs an extra 25% on the rent. That is why pubs are closing so rapidly. Publicans who own their own freehold, or are not tied into punitive supply contacts, are thriving.

The price of alcohol on Tesco is largely irrelevant to this. It doesn't help but giving publicans a level field by regulating the thieving Pubcos will help far more than yet another tax raid on poor people.
    After working for a company in the past who's job it was to monitor dispense data relating to various venues (to see if they were buying out of contract) I find that in desperate times, even the grossly prohibitive terms in some pub contracts doesn't stop them from doing what they need to survive. Catch 22 in that when they get caught, they're screwed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think that 'problem drinkers' who drink and fight, or drink and abuse people will drink anyway and those from low income backgrounds will cut back elsewhere.

If the tax would definately go straight to say... An alcohol treatment centre and victim support, I'd easily be behind it... But just like the pastie tax and most Tory policies, it'll fuck the working class the hardest.
    Thing is, minimum alcohol price does correlate with alcohol-related problems (anti-social behaviour, crime, alcoholism).

Its the same story with speed limits and road safety.

Its just whether we are giving up an important liberty for an immediate reprieve. Hard to say. We don't live in a perfect world though where we can go by ideals of what society 'should' be like, I think we just have to focus on a progression towards making things 'less shit'.

Totes agreed that alcoholism treatment, prevention and victim support should receive more funding though, in fact I would expand that to include all drugs not just alcohol.

Still can't see any practical problems with this minimum price though, a cheap drink will still be cheap, it is only the ultra-cheap ultra-high strength that are significantly affected (and in particular cider which was out of step with the costs of other alcohol too).
    I think I want to say this to make sure people are aware, if there is a minimum price set, the government don't get the whole amount extra to make up the cost to the minimum level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk