Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Draft proofing/insulating bedroom?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm currently living in a student house and as student houses usually go it's not the warmest of places - especially as my landlord has taken over 2 months to fix my heater.
I'm keeping my heating off (using a little plug in thing) until late to keep bills down so my room is ridiculously cold most of the time. The double glazing is crap because we have those thin metal frames rather than plastic ones so a lot of cold comes in through them. My storage heater (when it works) is also below my windows (big bay ones) so most of it gets lost through them anyway. My rooms also by the front door so I get draft coming in from there too and it's a very big room (victorian terrace conversion) so hard to keep warm. I'm going to buy a thing to put under my door but I'm just wondering what I could do with the windows? Preferably cheap and that won't leave marks when I leave? I'm getting sick of having to do my work in 5 layers under my duvet!

Comments

• Options
    I cant think of anything other than to draw the curtains if you have them. But just wanted to suggest a hot water bottle when you go to bed if you aren't using one already. They were a godsend when I was a student. Also ask for a slanket for Christmas! They are also pretty good.
  • Options
    Thick curtains - pin extra sheets to them if you need to.

Draft excluders under the doors.

Put up a tent inside and live in that. Keep doors closed.
  • Options
    Hiya
    Have you heard of that clear film you can get to use as a secondary glazing? I've never used it so can't vouch for it but it's cheap and (I think) relatively easy to put up.

Here's an example from Tesco, but loads of places sell it if you do a quick Google search:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/secondary-glazing-film-window-draught-excluder-clear/213-0891.prd

Might be worth a try?!
  • Options
    As spanner says, you can get clingfilm to put over the windows as a secondary double glazing. You basically apply it with a hairdryer. It's not brilliant but better than nothing.

The other thing you could try is foil down the back of the storage heater, to reflect heat into the room.
  • Options
    Bubblewrapping your windows is supposed to be effective.

Edit: http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrap.htm