Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

alternative to curtain poles?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
moving into the temporary accommodation that the council is giving me tomorrow, but they haven't put in any curtain poles! I have curtains but I don't know how I'm going to keep the place warm without putting curtains up. The council should be sorting it later next week but what can I do in the meantime?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you have any wall hangings? My boyfriend has a couple of wall hangings layered up on his window because he has no curtains. He's pinned them up, it's not ideal but it's better than nothing at all :)
    Hey Miss Riot,

You're moving today - congrats and hope it goes well.

I know it's only temporary accommodation but it's a good step forward.

As for no curtain poles... I think Broken-Angel's idea is great. Are you able to try it? I can't think of any other ideas, other than sticking up newspaper, but that's not going to keep the cold out is it?!

If I think of anything else I will let you know but in the meantime, hope the moves go well! Keep us posted

:)
    blankets? or put the heating on
    I've got curtains just nothing to pin or put them up with. We're not there tonight so I might just hassle the council tomorrow and get them to sort something out. There not much point putting the heating on cos it'll just go out the windows.
    Heat won't all go straight out the windows, especially if ypure somewhere reasonable sheltered.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sorry for being practically off topic, but something was said that sounded strange to me: How do curtains prevent heat from leaving? Don't the windows themselves do that?
    Not as well Indrid. Welcome to the UK!

Basically curtains help create an additional buffer zone of air and material between the outside and inside. If you put your hand on your window, double glazed or not, in this weather it will feel cold. The curtains trap cold air next to the window, and the warm air inside the room.
    i dont have curtains up downstairs and its fine
    Could try taping bubble wrap or plastic sheets over them as a temporary measure, not a pretty solution but it might help a bit.