Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Finances and becoming a student.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm 18 now, just started college two weeks ago, doing a Level 3 ICT course.

I live by myself, with not many ties to other people. I claim housing benefit and council tax benefit. And i used to claim JSA.

But the course i started, was full time... only three days a week, but more than 16 hours. Which means i can't claim Job seekers. I also can't claim income support because i'm over 18 now.

So this kinda leaves me shit stuck and soon to be homeless probably. I still get housing benefit, but leaves me with a shortfall of £25 a week to find for my rent. Then i've got bills, food, ciggeretess etc

I'm classed as a student now, but i don't believe i'm not a course high enough where i can get any money to help me along. I don't even know if i can continue claiming HB.

I don't expect the tax payer to pay for me either, i for money to be handed to me for free. I tried setting up my own business, but didn't have the finances to pay for stock and parts. I've spent months, trying hard for a job and it's difficult, had one job interview but i don't have a car, so it was pointless them even asking me to come. But i still try everyday, as i know if i could get a part time job i could support myself and my lifestyle - and that is my main aim.

But in the meantime Is there anything i can get, student loan? something i can pay back once i'm on solid ground with a job or something?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey there,

Sorry to hear you're struggling at the moment in terms of finding the money to live on.

I'm not sure if you qualify for a 'student loan' but I found a page on the DirectGov website about who qualifies for student finance. You could ask your college if they qualify, as the article suggests.

I also found this page about benefits for higher education students on a low income, but I think you already know you don't qualify for benefits.

Also, is there any student support or services at your college that you can ask for help? They may know of other routes that you can pursue.

I hope this helps :)
    Finances and becoming a student.

This is your earlier years and I will appreciate your efforts. Make sure to complete a FAFSA application first, to check out grants, how much in scholarships other funds you can get from your school and other sources prior to applying for loans and debt what you are going to get.there is another way to get student loan and you can contact your collage and consult them as many colleges provide loans and they do have enough information about getting loans.
    juss wrote: »
    This is your earlier years and I will appreciate your efforts. Make sure to complete a FAFSA application first, to check out grants, how much in scholarships other funds you can get from your school and other sources prior to applying for loans and debt what you are going to get.there is another way to get student loan and you can contact your collage and consult them as many colleges provide loans and they do have enough information about getting loans.

Just to point out that this is a primarily UK based advice site. Your advice and tips are of course welcome, however may fall on quite a lot of deaf ears if you are giving advice aimed at a US audience.
    Thanx. I will keep it in mind.i just forgot that.