Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Homeless for yet another Xmas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my landlord has given notice. I have no money to pay for references and no guarantor. I've gone to the council and they're being great and have said they'll sort me out something temporary because it could be sometime until they find me somewhere permanent and suitable, but this will be the second Xmas on the trot being homeless. I've been ok about it until yesterday and it suddenly hit me - I feel so seriously insecure physically, financially, emotionally. I'm skint - but that comes with the territory of being unwell. I'm getting really upset every time I see nice furniture or ornaments or even crafty stuff - it's not that I can't afford it, it's that I'll soon have no where to put it. I know that it's a means to an end and I will eventually have somewhere permanent but because I have no idea where it will be, or what it could be and if I'll get any choice in the matter. This is less of a call for advice (but if you have any please share it), more a little rant - I feel so lonely and isolated because it seems like everyone else is going off to their families for Xmas where as I'm going to be stuck in some temporary accommodation waiting for something to come up for me :(

Comments

• Options
    *hug* I don't really know what to say Miss Riot, but I wanted you to know I've read your post and I'm here to listen when you need to rant :heart:
  • Options
    This blows. Maybe we should do a christmas thesite meetup... Cheer everyone up. Find a christmas market somewhere and go for roasted chestnuts and mulled wine and roast pork and stuff in a crusty roll.
  • Options
    That would be awesome :) I'd vote Bristol but I know somewhere more central would be good for most.

I'll find out within the next week or so what's happening and when. I'm going to start packing stuff up bit by bit, getting rid of stuff as well - it feels like a mourning process which might sounds a bit OTT but its like there's something wrong with me that means these places keep falling through.
  • Options
    I can understand that. Like you're making a mistake you can put your finger on. But it's not your fault, and you'll be ok. Bristol sounds lovely to me. Let me have a think/look
  • Options
    Pending schedule up for Christmas meet and/or Christmas get together
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    That would be awesome :) I'd vote Bristol but I know somewhere more central would be good for most.

I'll find out within the next week or so what's happening and when. I'm going to start packing stuff up bit by bit, getting rid of stuff as well - it feels like a mourning process which might sounds a bit OTT but its like there's something wrong with me that means these places keep falling through.

It's not ott. We develop attachments to homes as well, and it's always sad when we are forced to leave.
    Just remember, at Xmas, it's not where you are, it's who you're with. xx *hug*
  • Options
    Well as long as I've got Mr Riot then it will be good. Just spoke to council and they have put me in a higher band (silver) before they have completed all of the paperwork. They have also said they agree with my dr's advice that I need a 2 bed property because I need a carer at night, which makes things a lot easier because there is a much larger stock of ground floor 2 bed properties in this area than 1 bed so I'm likely to get housed sooner, but still unlikely to be before xmas.
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Still. That's a bit of good news, and better than nothing. xx
  • Options
    Hey Miss_Riot,

Really sorry to hear that your landlord has given you notice to leave. I'm not sure if you're aware but I just wanted to outline the process for your landlord to take possession of your home. I think that you may not have to leave before Christmas (but would need more information about the exact dates to know for sure).

You may want to have a look at this article on the Shelter website about the steps involved in evicting private tenants.

The first step, which you say your landlord has already done, is for your landlord to serve you with notice. They must then obtain a court order (a possession order); you can stay in the property until the order comes into effect. If you are still in occupation then your landlord must apply to the court bailiff for an eviction date. It is on this day that you must leave your home.

You can also have a look at the Shelter website for more specific information about assured shorthold tenancies - http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/eviction/eviction_of_private_tenants/eviction_of_assured_shorthold_tenants
    I think this is what you have from your previous posts.

I think it would be a good idea to check that the notice given to you is legally valid and then work out roughly how long the process will take from the information in the those articles.

You can ask a more specific question on askTheSite if this will help. Your question will be answered by an expert.

Also, it's great that the council have said they will be helping you. I know this can be a real battle sometimes. I hope they find you somewhere soon so that you can move quickly. This must be an unsettling time for you but try to focus on the positives and look forward to the future.

Keep us posted on what happens next or just if you need a rant.

:)
  • Options
    The notice is legally valid and unless I want to get court costs of hundreds of pounds which I cannot afford to pay back then I will need to leave by the 9th. I'm having to fill out so many forms for the local council before they'll put me into gold band or emergency band to get me higher priority for housing (they have a bidding system here). Just going through my income and expenditure stuff was enough to get me in tears -
    I haven't the money to cover even basic stuff, and it could get harder. Probably will get harder.
  • Options
    Hey again,

How things looking now? This is understandably an exhausting and stressful process but glad to see you posting on here to get the support you need and sometimes to just have a rant. Keep posting when you feel you need to.

*hugs*
  • Options
    I'm talking to the housing people tomorrow - I've filled out all the paperwork and stuff, but there's still so many uncertainties. I'll give you an update after the meeting
  • Options
    Hope it goes well *hug*
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I'm talking to the housing people tomorrow - I've filled out all the paperwork and stuff, but there's still so many uncertainties. I'll give you an update after the meeting

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the meeting, will be thinking about you, *hug*'s, stay strong!
  • Options
    We have a temporary flat to move into as of the 8th and I finished 5th this week so give it a couple of months an I might have something more permanent! Yay!!

Would have been nice to just move the once but it's a start.
  • Options
    Yay! :yippe:
  • Options
    thats really fantastic news. Im really happy for you.
  • Options
    Just having to get the packing done and sorting out all my stuff...seems like its going on forever!

I have no idea whether I should put stuff in storage or stick it in the temp flat in boxes?
  • Options
    Just having to get the packing done and sorting out all my stuff...seems like its going on forever!

I have no idea whether I should put stuff in storage or stick it in the temp flat in boxes?
    if youve got room in the temp place, just keep it there x
  • Options
    That's what I'm thinking but the reason they've given me a spare room is for a over night carer to sleep there. But considering that's my ma when mr riot isn't about I don't think she'll complain much! Just not sure if I'll get the sofa in there as well!
  • Options
    Any idea yet how long temporary is going to be?
  • Options
    Fuck knows! Anything from a few weeks to a year! I'm currently number 3 and number 12 on the bidding system for 2 different houses this week, and last week it was 7 on 2 others, so I'm hoping not too long. I've got a fair bit of priority and I tend to get bumped up because I need ground floor and not everyone who is ahead of me in the queue (because they've been on the list longer, as well as having priority need) will need a ground floor property. I'm thinking 6 weeks but who knows!!
  • Options
    Hey Miss Riot,

Glad to hear things are moving on and that you've been given temp accom.
    Hopefully not too long before you move into a permanent place.

Keep us posted!