Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sex reassignment therapy...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know a lot of stuff i post on this website, comes across as a 'troll'. - but this is a genuine thread for something i need help on.

Basically a sex change, after about 6 years of constantly considering this, and after seeing some quite convincing transgender people. I want to look into this much further, although i did a quick (very quick), bit of googling but it doesn't seem like there's much online or legitimate places too go.

I know it's something you can just go online and book in. But where do i really start? I'm guessing i'd have to go to my doctor and chat them about it, i just don't want to come across as strange - what do i say, how do i book an appointment etc?

This isn't a brash choice i've made either, for as long as i really remember I've wanted to be a female, or tried my hardest to dress/look like one. Online game characters since i was a child i always picked the female ones. Pretty much wherever i go online i consider myself female.

I know this isn't going to be something quick, but i'm ready to start now.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you have to live full time as a female for a year before they consider any surgery, although I *think* you can start hormone therapy sooner than that.
    Book a GP appointment, and just tell them how you feel... I'd come with you but I don't have the money to get down there :heart:
    Shikari wrote: »
    I know this isn't going to be something quick, but i'm ready to start now.

Not quick, I'm afraid, will be an understatement. As demand increases, anecdotally, the waits are getting longer. Your GP is definitely the first port of call.

B-A is right that a gender identity clinic will want to support you in living as a woman without medical intervention before even offering hormones. There will probably be a lot of psychological assessment to get through as well.

This page on NHS choices is really informative (Ruth used to be NUS Trans rep, she's great). I would also really recommend Gires and Gender Spectrum for info and support.

It won't be an easy road, but I wish you the best.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Isn't there someone else on thesite that has gone through or is going through something similar? Louisek? I may be wrong but it may be worth dropping them a line.

Either way, first port of call would be your gp. Good luck.
    friend of mine is going through it.. he is nearly 3 years into the process, and still has not had any operations. he has been on hormone therapy for the majority of the time as well.. it is very far from a short process. the first step for him was intensive therapy, because he had a very long history of depression and hormone imbalance. but since then, he has gone quite a long way, and seems much happier. people may think it's strange, and some will struggle to accept it if they try at all. but if it is going to make you happy, then go for it. best of luck :)