Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Exam stresses and that

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've noticed that it's the time of year for people to start thinking that if they fuck up their a-levels then they've fucked up their lives.

Just to say, that my A-level grades were D D D (maths, physics, chemistry) and a C in As Eng Lit

I've now got an undergrad in mech eng (BEng 2:2 hons) from Loughborough, and a postgrad in engineering design (MSc pass (65%ish average)) from Loughborough.

So, just because it doesn't go right when you're 18, doesn't mean that by the time you're 28 you won't still be doing what it is you wanted to do and be as good at is as you ever could have been.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Very apt. Thank you. The 'What is I screw up my A-Levels?' thought is going round like a broken record in my head.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    All you can do is your best, and if it's not right, you can try again, or do something else. I was offered a spot on the loughborough science and engineering foundation year to fill the void between my shitty a-level grades and my degree. I got the equivalent of straight A's with that.
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    For me I have to go up a grade-either B to an A or A to A*. Don't think I can do it. Gonna try though.
    All you can do is try. You never know until results day and you ring up your admissions department.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    All you can do is try. You never know until results day and you ring up your admissions department.

Yup. I know it's not really the same, but I went up 4 grades in one subject from my mock to the real thing. So try and be positive, but at the back of your mind remember that there are other things you can do to get to where you want to be :heart:
    What about failing your maths GCSE? I need an A or above in the final exam or I have failed. Currently working at a grade E. :impissed:
    What about failing your maths GCSE? I need an A or above in the final exam or I have failed. Currently working at a grade E. :impissed:

You can always resit. There's time for everything to click for you between now and the exam, if you work on just a little a day.
    I'm trying so hard to understand maths, but I just can't, and my maths teacher doesn't have any time to give me extra help.. we've got mocks next week, so we'll see what happens I guess. It's so rubbish because I wont get into college without maths :(
    I hearby offer myself as a maths tutor. Post your homework or problems in the student forum and I'll explain as best as I can to you.

I know my a-level grade at maths might put a sensible person off... but I do have two maths based degrees now. I'm very good at it.
    Thank you Fiend it means a lot, I'm planning on forcing myself to do some revision later so prepare yourself for some maths problems :p
    Looking forward to it.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I got all C's in A level Chemistry, Physics, Computing and AS Maths With Apps.

I fucked off university and became a Greenkeeper straight hout of college, then a Carpet Fitter and am currently a Sales Engineer. I have no regrets.

Point is. There are many avenues you can take in life and qualifications or not, things have a habit of working out.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »

Point is. There are many avenues you can take in life and qualifications or not, things have a habit of working out.

Amen.

I got all A's, B's and C's at GCSE level.......A levels I fucked up, because I was going off the rails at that point, never turned up, didn't give a fuck, dropped a couple of subjects. etc etc.

Didn't want to go to university so I worked full time as a bartender for a couple of years and loved it. Had money all the time, met new people. Went travelling, lived in Aus.

Decided to go to uni at 21, and because I didn't have enough points I entered on a HND, then topped up to the full degree for my third year by doing well enough.

So really don't stress about exams, I never have.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I got all A's, B's and C's at GCSE level.......A levels I fucked up, because I was going off the rails at that point, never turned up, didn't give a fuck, dropped a couple of subjects. etc etc.

That's what I've done, just at GCSE's. I've properly fucked it up. Start of year ten my predicted grades were all A*'s, I was doing 11 GCSE's and an AS level as an extra... now I'm doing 8 GCSE's, but that might go down to 6 depending on next week's mock results, and my predicted's are D's and C's. All thanks to me being sucked in by meow. I've wasted all my uni fund... and my chance of going to the best college in the area. Gutted to be honest.
    Agree completely. When I stressed during exams my mum kept telling me 'There are always options'. There is no chance you can mess up your life at the tender age of 18 otherwise a lot of us would be fucked right now.