Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Black hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I kinda wanna try dying me hair black because i've done so many from blonde to brown to pink.. but i've never tried black, im a bit worried if it doesn't suit me its gonna be hard to get rid of, but also some people have made comments bout it saying it will make me a goth and generally laughing - i mean im not silly to listen to them because i know who i am and my style and i think black might be nice. But is going black a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    Depends a lot on skin tone and eye colour as to whether it will suit you. but plenty of people have black hair without looking like a goth. You can always get the 6week semi-permanent stuff. That way you're not stuck with it if it looks horrific.
  • Options
    Black is really hard to dye back (I once tried to go from black to blonde... not my finest moment), and, yes, it's mostly about skin tone.

I would suggest a dark brown first to see how that goes.
  • Options
    Although im blonde at the moment me natural colour is really dark cos i kinda got hispanic hair.. think i might try a semi one and see how it looks
  • Options
    I'd suggest doing it gradually if you're blonde at the moment. Dying it black from blonde would be a big shock! And I'd recommend not going completely black unless you're sure you want it for a while... as others have said it is difficult (and costly) to dye over.

Maybe something like this: http://www.livecolor.com/products/colourintense/bitter-sweet-chocolate-89/

Or if you're feeling a bit adventurous:
    http://www.livecolor.com/products/colourintense/cosmic-blue-90/ (although really don't go straight from blonde to that one, it'll be very blue!)
  • Options
    Go dark brown over the blonde unless you want green hair. Then you can let your natural colour grow back in and dying it black would be easier.

As has been said though, black can look very odd, especially blue black (my friend dyes his hair blue black and it looks godawful, not to mention the blue sweat). I would suggest a very very dark brown as it'll give the same kind of effect but will be much warmer toned, which suits most folk a lot more than synthetic black (which is cool tones).
  • Options
    Thanks guys :) i've decided to try black, went and got some colour XXL before. Tbh blonde doesn't suit me at all and all u can see at the top is me dark brown roots lol. I got told because i've got very thick hair annd black eyebrows it should look okay... so lets hope :P
  • Options
    I'd suggest doing it gradually if you're blonde at the moment. Dying it black from blonde would be a big shock! And I'd recommend not going completely black unless you're sure you want it for a while... as others have said it is difficult (and costly) to dye over.

Maybe something like this: http://www.livecolor.com/products/colourintense/bitter-sweet-chocolate-89/
    I've used that many times and loved it.
  • Options
    Well i dyed it a couple of hours ago and do quite like it, prefer it to the blonde to be honest i definitely suit darker colours. thanks guys :)