Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Personal Statements!

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    eeeee I have an interview at Oxford!
    Congratulations.
    Well done, you've done an extremely good job Grace.
    grace wrote: »
    eeeee I have an interview at Oxford!

High five! Which college? Congratulations!
    well done grace!
    I'm still waiting on interviews with my unis :S
    piccolo wrote: »
    High five! Which college? Congratulations!

Thanks! It's Jesus college. I picked it at random the night before the deadline.
    Thanks! It's Jesus college. I picked it at random the night before the deadline.

Well, good luck! It's a really pretty college. If you don't get into Jesus they might still give other colleges the chance to take you :)

One thing I would say, is don't be afraid to turn it down. A lot of people feel compelled to go to Oxbridge if they get offered a place, even if they didn't feel right about it at interview. It's a very specific culture, and the curriculums are very theoretical. A lot of people thrive there, but it's not for everyone. I loved the time I spent there when I did my postgrad, tho.
    I've had two interviews today at oxford and they did not go that well. i can speak french and spanish really well, but i had to compare a translation of hamlet with the original and they had to keep prompting me. and i want to study here so badly now, that it feels even worse that i've fucked it up.
    Somerville College ripped my sister to shreds and she got in. Don't write yourself off. Even if you don't get in, it's an extremely competitive environment, places are hard to get.
    I've had two interviews today at oxford and they did not go that well. i can speak french and spanish really well, but i had to compare a translation of hamlet with the original and they had to keep prompting me. and i want to study here so badly now, that it feels even worse that i've fucked it up.

You really can't tell; they're looking for creative thinking as much as knowledge. They won't expect you to know Hamlet backwards, just to be able to give them some kind of answer.
    shit, i love this place. i love how much the tutors care about what they're doing, and how much they're willing to give. i love the people as well, it's not all posh twats who take the piss out of my accent either like i thought it would be. i've gone from not wanting to get in because i'd feel compelled to take it up to REALLy wanting it. i got sent to the welfare office today because my interviewer was 'concerned' with my reaction to the interview. i'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.
    That just means they don't want any risk of you going back to your room and topping yourself. The dummies guide of potential causes for concern they use is pretty extensive, so it's not uncommon to get pointed the direction of welfare.

Whatever happens, hope you're enjoying the experience
    That just means they don't want any risk of you going back to your room and topping yourself. The dummies guide of potential causes for concern they use is pretty extensive, so it's not uncommon to get pointed the direction of welfare.

Whatever happens, hope you're enjoying the experience

Aye. And Oxford is particularly good at pastoral care these days, because both Oxford and The Other Place used to be so terrible and students quit or broke down all over the place. I had a really good experience with student support. Overcautious is a good thing to be in this situation. Also, don't think for a moment it can count against you; it won't be fed back to the interviewers.
    Didn't get in :( I was quite upset about it, but then I ate some sushi and realised that I don't think I'd be able to deal with the stress that Oxford would offer, so in a way it's a good thing that I don't feel compelled to take up a place that isn't really suited to me. So with any luck, I'm off to UCL next year :)
    Hugs. Good on you for being positive. UCL is an awesome place - especially for languages so you've done really well! All the best :)
    Didn't get in :( I was quite upset about it, but then I ate some sushi and realised that I don't think I'd be able to deal with the stress that Oxford would offer, so in a way it's a good thing that I don't feel compelled to take up a place that isn't really suited to me. So with any luck, I'm off to UCL next year :)

Happy days!
    Congrats on UCL.

At least by going through the process, you know you've tried and won't always have the question in that back of your mind of what if. Oxford and Cambridge aren't suited to everyone, and it sounds like you've made the really mature observation for yourself that it wouldn't have been the best place for you anyway.

I'm guessing you've got module exams coming up? If so, good luck with them.

YAAAAAAAY! - UCL is the best university in the whole world!

(OK, so maybe I'm a little biased, but Oxford isn't for everyone and I was so very glad I chose UCL. Their student support for mental health stuff is excellent, and London is such fun as a student.)
    I just got an unconditional offer from UCL :D
    Well done!!!

:yippe: Best. University. EVAR.

WHEY. Well done you!
    Agh, I went to the open day yesterday and it wasn't as good as I had hoped and now I don't know what to do. I don't want to take up the place only to drop out or just be bored and miserable for four years, and I don't want to take up my other offers either.
    What else is there I can do? Internships and TEFL courses require money and I don't want to move back in with my parents for a supermarket job or something. The only thing I can think of is be an au pair somewhere else, and even that's pretty rubbish.
    What's up with the UCL course?

What are you looking for in a uni course?