Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self-Harm...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I sh'd earlier, and I went pretty deep, I had a panic attack over it, cause I've never seen it so bad. It was bleeding for pretty long, but now I don't know what to do... I normally butterfly stitch it myself, but me and friend aren't on talking terms, so I don't have an extra hand to make it easier...

I won't go to a walk in center, or A&E cause I hate being judged. I know it's silly, but it's not something I want to talk to them about. I've wrapped it for now, but I'm boggled... :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think you need to bite the bullet and head into the minor injuries unit or to A&E. I know that past negative experiences can really hold you back. But if you're badly hurt proper treatment fast is essential.
    I've never been to A&E about something like this before. I have no one to go with me, and it's daunting to think what they might even say to me.... I know they're there to help, and supposed to not judge, but I feel as if they will...
    Ok. Ideally you should go and just tell them the truth, but if judgement is what's holding you back from getting treatment, and I know you're getting support elsewhere, maybe you could just lie to the A&E staff.

Please remember that in future that you can go to A&E before you hurt yourself and get support, or call your crisis line.
    I don't think I can get away with lying... if I done it elsewhere I could have. Ah well! I'll have to see how it is tomorrow..
    Probably as bad if not worse. Obviously its up to you, and the last thing I will say is that you should go for treatment.
    :/ would be easier if I could drag someone with me tbh.
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    :/ would be easier if I could drag someone with me tbh.

You could imagine we're all with you when you go. *hug* What do you think?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello Sophie,

Sounds as though you have a lot going on for you at the moment, sorry to hear you and your friend are not on good speaking terms at the moment, going to A&E alone, can be very scary, but you really should get your cut checked out ASAP!

Just wondering, have you ever seen TheSite.org's YouTube video on, visiting A&E for self harm? , and what sort of questions you would be asked.

As Fiend said, this is completely up to you, you've taken a massive step opening up to people on here, you should be proud of yourself. Stay strong, keep us updated on how you are doing :)
    Yeah I've seen it, Angel, just guess everywhere differs.
    Just wish it would stop bleeding!!!! It would be fine then!:(

Reena: I'll have a panic, I can't do it alone :/
    Yeah I've seen it, Angel, just guess everywhere differs.
    Just wish it would stop bleeding!!!! It would be fine then!:(

Reena: I'll have a panic, I can't do it alone :/

Is it bleeding a lot? Make sure you apply plenty of pressure until you get it checked, and keep drinking fluids. -You may feel a little faint or dizzy with all the blood loss. If it's really bad you should get help straight. Is there no-one else you trust to go with you? xx
    Not a lot, but it's still bleeding. Yeah, I have a woozy head, and it's like woahhh stars!
    I don't hardly know anyone here, so no one to come with. x
    Do you mind me asking where you have cut? Cause I know if it's on the arm (around that area) and starts bleeding badly again, they say to elevate the wound higher than your heart. (with the pressure too)
    If you're feeling dizzy, lay down flat on the floor for a few minutes, when you feel less dizzy drink a glass of cold water. Don't get back up until you feel able. That might help.

Sorry hun, wish I could go with you. xx
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    If it's been bleeding for almost an Hour, you really don't have many options, other than visiting A&E, try putting pressure on it to, what do you think you can do about the cut?
    It's been bleeding for longer then that, Angel...

Yeah, Reena it's on my arm, well mid arm anyway. I've plonked it in the air, until my arm aches, but I've kept it near the chest like they do in the sling position...x
    It's been bleeding for longer then that, Angel...

Yeah, Reena it's on my arm, well mid arm anyway. I've plonked it in the air, until my arm aches, but I've kept it near the chest like they do in the sling position...x

Keeping it in the sling position should help. Have you got enough dressings and bandages on it? xx
    Yeah I do, thanks xx
    Make sure you get help if it gets any worse, ok hun. xx
    I think it might be too late for stitches now, they normally don't like to do them after 12/16 hours.

For future reference though: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1048.aspx?CategoryID=72&SubCategoryID=727
    as a sort of blanket rule, if you can see the yellow fat layer, you need stitches. But there are other times you need stitches too as detailed on the link.

And, you don't have to go to A&E for stitches, you can book an emergency appointment with a practice nurse at your local doctors.

I really think it'd be worth booking a nurse appointment so you can get it dressed properly.. but until then/if you really don't want to then these are useful things to have (and stock up on if you thing this might happen again)

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Microporous-Surgical-Tape-5cm-x-5m_1121257/ (slightly more expensive than other tapes, but honestly it's so much better)
    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Wound-Dressing-Pads-10cm-x-10cm-Pack-of-3-_1133178/
    http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Pharmaceuticals-Stretch-Bandage-7-5cm-x-4m_1121233/

If you decide to treat it yourself change the whole dressing at least once a day for the first couple of days, and then less so as it starts to heal.

You could always go to the nurse at the doctors surgery, get them to do the first dressing, and then say you're going on holiday so could you take some dressings with you. At least that way you can see how it'll be dressed the best.

Hope it heals up soon :heart: