Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film Club: December Nominations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
This month's theme is brilliantly two sided. Christmas and Anti-Christmas films, a great deal of scope to work with here, so have fun everybody.

It'll be the same as last month. There will be two winners (only one can be Certificate 18 to cater for the age demographic of TheSite. if two 18's are chosen by the poll then the film the runner up that isn't an 18 will be chosen/ picked at random)

When you post your nomination please include the video trailer as well as the reason for your nomination, it would be really handy if you could include what age certificate the film is as well.

And as always the following disclaimer applies: We realise that TheSite.org is aimed at 16-25 year olds but we're aware some members of the community are under 16. Some of the films suggested in film club will be 15 certificate and above so if you're under 15 then you watch these films at your own risk.

go, go, go!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Terry Pratchett's Hogfather (U)

Reason for nominating: I love the discworld, and never got around to watching this, I'm always suspicious of films made from my favourite books, so would like to see if it's as good as it should be. (Christmas connection: Hogswatch is the discworld alternative)
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Synopsis: When Jack Skellington tires of Hallowe'en Town, he sets out to learn more about Christmas.

Reason for nominating: One of the greatest soundtracks of all time, fantastic animation, and the ability to appeal to both Christmas lovers and Christmas haters.

Can't get the sodding thing to embed, tho
    The Muppet Christmas Carol
    Synopsis:Ebeneezer Scrooge is a mean old man. Until one Christmas Eve, after the death of his business acquaintances, Marley and Marley.

Reason for nominating: I watch this every Christmas. Except the soppy song in the middle. Plus, Michael Caine in the same film as Fozzie Bear.
    You have to take the s off https. I had that problem and hmmm7 fixed it for me.
    At the library so may not be a good idea for youtube yet..

Nomination: It's a Wonderful Life (U)

Synoposis (from IMDB): An angel helps a compassionate but despairingly frustrated businessman by showing what life would have been like if he never existed.

Reason for Nomination: I still haven't seen it!! And I hear it's a classic.

Also just to add to Fiend's orig post. I was thinking discussion could take place week begining 10 December and chat can happen on Wednesday 19th December? Otherwise chat would fall on Boxing Day and that would just be MADNESS :shocking:
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You have to take the s off https. I had that problem and hmmm7 fixed it for me.

I worked that out all by myself.

Reason for Nomination: I still haven't seen it!! And I hear it's a classic.

Is it ever. Totally awesome.
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    There are so many to choose from. Some of my favs; The Muppet Christmas Carol, Disney's The Christmas Carol, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Terry Pratchett's Hogfather, and Miracle on 34th Street -so sweet.
    But I picked Home Alone, classic slap stick moments. :naughty:

Home Alone
    Am I allowed to please nominate two Fiend? :heart:

Elf-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvtmsqyOkhc

Amazing film. Every one needs this in their Christmas timetable.

Annnnd....
    Nativity :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkpWxX_K3Y4

Another really funny film, about a state school trying to outdo a private school with their nativity.

Both films are U or PG certificates I think, suitable for everyoneeee :yippe:
    I'm putting up the voting tomorrow.

Any more nominations, get them in now!
    Meet Me in St Louis (U)

from IMDB: In the year before the 1904 St Louis World's Fair, the four Smith daughters learn lessons of life and love, even as they prepare for a reluctant move to New York.

Reason: One of my favourite musicals ever. It follows the Smith family throughout the year and culminates in Christmas time and Judy Garland singing 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas'. Guarenteed to make you bawl your eyes out.

aaaand... on a completely different spectrum

Die Hard!! (18)

from IMDB: John McClane, officer of the NYPD, tries to save wife Holly Gennaro and several others, taken hostage by German terrorist Hans Gruber during a Christmas party at the Nakatomi Plaza in Los Angeles.

Reason: Again one of my favourite Christmas films as well as action films.. It's amazing. Alan Rickman. Yippy ki yay motherfuckerrr
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    A Christmas Story -

Most funny, underrated, under watched, christmas movie. :razz:
    Ralphie has to convince his parents, teachers, and Santa that a Red Ryder B.B. gun really is the perfect gift for the 1940s.