Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni help- Been accepted-Welsh Bacc?

Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
Really happy because my favourite uni has accepted me but in the conditions it said GCE Level AAA or A*AB requirement. I am doing the Welsh Bacc and on their site for the course it said it will happily accept the Welsh Bacc in the context of if you asked for AAA-AAB you need Welsh Bacc+ 2 A's.
Not sure if my Welsh Bacc has been included in my offer, the official letter didn't help either. Can't ask school because it's the weekend.
So excited but panicking a bit. Will Welsh Bacc help me into uni?????

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can't be of any help, but congrats! :thumb:

Nina x
    Call the uni admissions office for clarification.

Well done on getting an offer.
    Sounds of it you need welsh bacc plus two As.

Drop the admissions office a note to confirm.
    It looks to me as though they count the Welsh Bacc. as an A, so you still need another two As - but it's best to check this with them to be sure.
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    Thanks for the swift replies. Made me feel a bit better. I wouldn't worry so much but for the fact that Welsh Bacc looks like it will be a life saver for me on exam day. Will e-mail them as soon as and check with mentor. :)
    Btw, they don't accept it despite everything they say on the website. Bacc doesn't mean anything. Really annoying. So now have to try and get really high grades. Seriously don't think I can do it.
    That sounds a bit rubbish :(
    You can but try.

And it's not like there are any downsides of aiming for top grades.
    You can but try.

And it's not like there are any downsides of aiming for top grades.

:yes: You might surprise yourself.
    Going to go for it. It's the difference between A and A*+ keeping grades stable. Feel like it's impossible but I will try, otherwise I'll never know.
    Going to go for it. It's the difference between A and A*+ keeping grades stable. Feel like it's impossible but I will try, otherwise I'll never know.

Try as hard as you can because even if you miss it, you might be able to go through clearing on the day and your Welsh bacc may carry some weight there.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Try as hard as you can because even if you miss it, you might be able to go through clearing on the day and your Welsh bacc may carry some weight there.
    To tell the truth, there have been problems so I won't get the grades. Mum has had a breakdown and is going in soon. This happened during the most of my exams, I can't get out to go over a relatives house to study for the rest of them because we are in with the snow and can't travel that far. I am really angry but I know it's not anyone's fault, it's a series of unfortunate events. I am not giving up but being realistic, it ain't gonna happen.
    To tell the truth, there have been problems so I won't get the grades. Mum has had a breakdown and is going in soon. This happened during the most of my exams, I can't get out to go over a relatives house to study for the rest of them because we are in with the snow and can't travel that far. I am really angry but I know it's not anyone's fault, it's a series of unfortunate events. I am not giving up but being realistic, it ain't gonna happen.

Have you called the admissions office? You can often defer a place for resits, etc.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Have you called the admissions office? You can often defer a place for resits, etc.
    Depending how my results are I might ask what I can do or just keep my school aware of the situation. I haven't told anybody. Although, I just want to go away from my home as soon as I can, so another year could be beneficial but I would be really unhappy.
    Depending how my results are I might ask what I can do or just keep my school aware of the situation. I haven't told anybody. Although, I just want to go away from my home as soon as I can, so another year could be beneficial but I would be really unhappy.

Would you consider making up what you need at a Further Education College? Or you could apply through clearing for a Foundation Degree. Then you could live away but still get to where you want to be.
    Foundation years are really handy.

Fresh start, uni life, educational gaps covered.
    I've had friends on foundation years and they just got an extra year of uni really. Not a bad thing.

One thing I would say though is even if you are struggling, is don't give up :-) getting the best possible marks gives you more options; university applications are down so a lot of universities will be struggling to fill course spaces, meaning that there is a stronger chance than in previous years of being successful through clearing.

Also let your tutor or pastoral support person about the home situation - they are really relevent and they may be able to offer additional support to meet your goals :-)