Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What works for you to help heal cuts and fade scars?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I self harm so I have loads of cuts and scars. I want to reduce them as I am trying to stop. :)
I hear that a lot of people use bio oil, but that's very expensive. I tried using moisturiser on my skin to see if it would help. It didn't do anything to the cuts that were a couple of weeks old, or younger, but it has made the old scars fade so much. I have only been doing this for a week, with cheap moisturiser, putting it on 3 times a day. It works well for me.
What has worked well for you when trying to fade scars? And do you know anything else that could be used? Have you ever tried using moisturiser to fade scars?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Moisturiser encourages the production of new skin cells. :) I've never tried bio oil. Lemon juice helps lighten your scars if they are a pinky or darker colour.
    Vitamin E cream (it's probably in your moisturiser) is good, as is bio oil.

Be aware, though, that most of these things could cause harm if they get into an open wound; don't use anything other than antiseptic cream on open or healing cuts.
    Cocoa butter is good... :)
    I don't rate bio oil.. but thats just cause it didn't help me, but i think it is different for each person :)

I agree with piccolo though, antiseptic cream is the way forward to help heal cuts :)
    you can get bio oil for £2.99-£3.99 in body care if you have one of those near where you live. so not too expensive. it worked amazingly on my scars on my legs (from mosquito bites though).
    Zinc can help. A really good multivitamin is always helpful