Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Fuck you Asda

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ah misandry. So convenient for advertisers that (even in subtext) it's more socially acceptable than misogyny.
  • Options
    I didn't really think of how this ad could be seen... in my family, my Mum does all the cooking (ok, my Dad can just about manage to cook fish fingers and chips...) and cleaning and mending clothes and food shopping (whilst working part time). It is my Dad who works full time and sorts out the car and the most of the garden and general DIY jobs.

Maybe that's why I didn't think of it any other way than, yes, Mum makes Christmas. Because in my house, she does. :heart:

Does this also mean Iceland are in trouble with their "that's why Mums go to Iceland" quotes?

Ever advert is aimed at a target audience, and I can imagine there is always someone else to take offence over how they have portrayed their message.
  • Options
    Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Same in my family purplehazed. Don't get why this has to be taken so personally and offensively tbh
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Hands up those who's dad's do all the shopping, wrap all the gifts and cook the biggest, most important meal of the year......

I don't do *all* of the Xmas shopping, but I *am* the one who does the food shopping (every week incidently, not just one week in the year) and I *am* the one who cook Xmas dinner.

Yes the advert is sexist, yea that annoys me, but to be fair I'm sure the ladies around these parts could point to plenty of ads which are sexist towards women.
  • Options
    When you say "I *am* the one" does that mean in reality you attempt to cook the dinner but give up.....
  • Options
    I don't do *all* of the Xmas shopping, but I *am* the one who does the food shopping (every week incidently, not just one week in the year) and I *am* the one who cook Xmas dinner.

Same in our house, to be fair! Not Christmas dinner, cause we always go to family for that, but Mr Kaff takes the majority of responsibility for food in our house, does most of the cooking generally and does 90% of the food shopping. If we did have Christmas dinner here, I think he'd probably do most of that too!

That said, the advert doesn't offend me. Advertising has a strong history of being extremely sexist (both ways), perpetuating ridiculous gender stereotypes, and generally being absolute bollocks. I struggle to take any of it seriously, to be honest!
  • Options
    Its one of those interesting things that advertising is targeted and can be insensitive to some, most of the time, but its only when something is a bit sexist in the wrong direction that you get a twitter campaign and a call to arms about it.

Just something to think about.
  • Options
    What do you mean by wrong direction.. towards women?

I'd agree CM Punk, I think it's equally unfair towards men too.
  • Options
    Yea, in general the feminist movement is much better at mobilising people and vocalising sentiment than the equivalent masculine movements.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    When you say "I *am* the one" does that mean in reality you attempt to cook the dinner but give up.....

Emphasis on am. I do it. Every year.
  • Options
    As someone who enjoys cooking and enjoys taking part in getting Christmas ready, I'm surprised it's portrayed as a negative / difficult thing... if people really hated it that much a lot of restaurants do a cooked christmas dinner for you, or Aldi / Iceland have plenty of ready made offerings.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    There is seldom such a thing as bad press.

That's a myth. Call of Duty has a very specific market. Supermarkets become successful by widening their appeal as far as possible, so they do everything possible to avoid being controversial.
  • Options
    Yea, in general the feminist movement is much better at mobilising people and vocalising sentiment than the equivalent masculine movements.

That's because the men are too busy doing important things, to get upset over something to trivial.
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »
    That's because the men are too busy doing important things, to get upset over something to trivial.

I hope that's irony.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I hope that's irony.

Not hugely, i wish people would understand that woman and men are different, and therefore do different things naturally.
    Nature is sexist ><
  • Options
    What makes you think men don't get upset over trivial things? What makes you think caring about insidious sexism is trivial?

I was pretty much done with this thread, having being relatively persuaded that perhaps it wasn't worth getting all that upset about Asda saying that great christmas requires a mum, especially after seeing the tesco adverts labelling christmas crackers as dad jokes.

But the fact is, sexism exists, it's real, and saying men are doing things that are important and don't get upset about trivial things is implying heavily that women don't do things that are important and are upset by things that are trivial. Which is just not on.
  • Options
    Shikari is a troll as far as i can tell, pay them little heed
  • Options

Actually, he isn't.... I know him outside of thesite...
  • Options

Not a troll, never the intention of winding people up. Just my alternative point of view on most things.

EDIT: I'm just kidding. The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
    Only a fool would take anything posted by me as fact.
  • Options
    Ok, so if you're not a troll, why don't you answer the questions?
  • Options
    But the fact is, sexism exists, it's real, and saying men are doing things that are important and don't get upset about trivial things is implying heavily that women don't do things that are important and are upset by things that are trivial. Which is just not on.

:yes:
  • Options

What she said!

I personally never for a minute wanted to imply that sexism in general wasn't worth getting worked up about. I specifically wanted to point out that it's not worth getting worked up about sexism in advertising because advertising is 100% bollocks.

If you genuinely think that insidious cultural discrimination of any kind is trivial, then you have a problem.
  • Options
    Feel free to nominate it... :D
  • Options
    What makes you think men don't get upset over trivial things?
    **cough** football **cough**
  • Options
    Shikari wrote: »
    EDIT: I'm just kidding. The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
    Only a fool would take anything posted by me as fact.

So try to be a little bit more considerate next time.