Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film Club: Novememeber Discussion (REVENGE)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hello Gang,

Welcome to this months discussion on our two films

We Need to Talk About Kevin
Kevin's mother struggles to love her strange child, despite the increasingly vicious things he says and does as he grows up. But Kevin is just getting started, and his final act will be beyond anything anyone imagined.

Hard Candy
A teenage girl raids a man's home, suspecting he is a pedophile, in order to expose him.

My favourite bit of trivia from Hard Candy is that when they were filming the scene where Hayley implies that everything Jeff thinks he knows about her is a lie, producers asked if they could include a line where she states that she was actually 18 years old rather than 14. Ellen Page was adamantly against the suggestion because she thought it undermined the premise of the film.

What did you guys think about our films this month?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :(
    I absolutely loved Kevin. It should have been really hard to adapt, because of the style of the book, but it still preserved a lot of the mystery. Very clever.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I absolutely loved Kevin. It should have been really hard to adapt, because of the style of the book, but it still preserved a lot of the mystery. Very clever.

Really? I really didn't like it. I can't even say exactly why (was a few months ago that I watched it), but it just didn't work for me at all.

Also it was supposed to be a bloody crossbow.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    piccolo wrote: »

:yes: I'd even go as far as to say I enjoyed the film more than the book. While I got a lot from reading it, I found it a draining read, so being able to watch it unfold over just a couple of hours was really satisfying.

I think the film was tremendously cast - particularly Tilda, and I enjoyed watching it with someone who hadn't read the book and said they'd never have predicted the ending (as it what happens to her husband and daughter).
    Still need to watch We Need To Talk About Kevin.
    **helen** wrote: »
    I think the film was tremendously cast - particularly Tilda, and I enjoyed watching it with someone who hadn't read the book and said they'd never have predicted the ending (as it what happens to her husband and daughter).

Yes, I was also with someone who had never read the book. I didn't mind that he didn't use a crossbow in the film, it didn't diminish the effect for me.

I didn't know how they'd achieve the twists and turns and they managed it; not the same ones in the same places, but with the same effect as the narration.
    In Kevin, did anyone else notice the red theme? The tomato thing in spain, red paint, the ball is red, red lighting etc. and the constant switching back to her cleaning the paint off her house. Almost as if she can clean Kevin out of her life the same way.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    In Kevin, did anyone else notice the red theme? The tomato thing in spain, red paint, the ball is red, red lighting etc. and the constant switching back to her cleaning the paint off her house. Almost as if she can clean Kevin out of her life the same way.

I did, almost mentioned the tomato thing as I thought it was a brilliant opening scene. The cleaning of the paint is really striking throughout too.

The other scene that really sticks with me is the one where she's at the office christmas party and that guy comes onto her and then spurns her - a reminder that not one single occasion can be ordinary.
    It really hurt me, almost physically, the way that she's blamed for what happened. Even though for her personally (or perhaps because), she KNEW that Kevin was dangerous.
    I know it's late (sorry no internet after the move as BT are stoopid and like to deprive me :impissed:) but I wanted to leave a comment about Hard Candy. I liked the premise of a school girl that is mad, bad and dangerous setting out to catch a pedophile but I really liked the uncertainty that played all the way through the film. Were we supposed to feel sorry for Jeff? Particularly when he touched on the story from his past and punishment from his aunt.

But it seemed a bit of a cop out at the end when the big reveal was that he was ahem.. heavily involved in the girl's disappearance and that he wished to film it.. Proving that he is a MONSTER after all and deserving of what happened next. I would have preferred more of an ambiguous ending.