Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

bit gross! advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had my belly button pierced when I was 16 and probably took it out when I was 20. that was 8 years ago and iv never had any problems with it. you can still see the hole where its been pierced but iv never had a bar in it since so I assumed it had just healed up. on Friday I noticed the middle bit of it (between the two holes) was hard and a bit sore and red. come today it's just got worse and there's two large red lumps on each hole. it's very red and swollen and unbelievably painful. I can't even bend over to pick things up and even rubbing against any clothes hurts a lot. the red lumps have got a bit of what looks like green on them now too :sour:

iv been cleaning it with warm boiled salt water and applying savlon but it just seems to be getting worse! I got a doctors appointment but it's not til Friday. I rang nhs direct just for advice but it said its extremely busy and only taking urgent cases. they closed the walk in centre near me. it's really painful. what should I do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Could try flashing it at a pharmacist
    Could try flashing it at a pharmacist

yeah I thought about that, iv had a bad experience last time I asked a pharmacist for advice though it was just embarrassing. maybe I could do it tomorrow
    Well, at least the embarrassment potential here is limited
    Sounds like you need anti-biotic cream and take some anti inflamatories (ibuprophen or the like) whilst your at it. Different people heal differently, and sometime old healed up piercings can get skin infections on the scar tissue. Tis one of the few downsides to getting pierced. :(
    thank you :)

it's still no better so I flashed it at a pharmacist today who said it was infected and that I needed to go to the doctors. have to wait til Friday though.
    thank you :)

it's still no better so I flashed it at a pharmacist today who said it was infected and that I needed to go to the doctors. have to wait til Friday though.

Yes, as you've described it your pharmacist is probably right. It is infected. I'm not a doctor so I can't prescribe you any medicine. But, I guess you'll need antibiotic for the infection.
    What you can do right now is ask for a pain killer, anti inflammatory medicine if you can get one without prescription.
    And an antibiotic cream or powder.
    Do not touch or itch your belly button. Clean it with savlon, apply the cream and put some cotton and doctor tape it.
    Hopefully that helps.
    I would leave it open tbh, it needs to dry out and keeping it covered up will more likely allow the bacteria to breed (as they like warm moist conditions). Make sure you get antibiotic cream rather than pills.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I would leave it open tbh, it needs to dry out and keeping it covered up will more likely allow the bacteria to breed (as they like warm moist conditions). Make sure you get antibiotic cream rather than pills.

Leaving it open is good but, hopefully you don't itch it or bruise it with your clothes but, then showing to the doctor is the best.
    I hope you get well soon. Take care. :)
    the pharmacist recommended some dressings because its really sore and keeps rubbing against my clothes, also I work with some babies and when I pick them up their feet are right at your tummy area which hurts. he said to leave it open when I'm at home though.
    the pharmacist recommended some dressings because its really sore and keeps rubbing against my clothes, also I work with some babies and when I pick them up their feet are right at your tummy area which hurts. he said to leave it open when I'm at home though.

Cool! I hope you did get some medicine for pain and inflammation too and antibiotic cream for dressing. I was born to be a doctor. :D
    Do, take care. Get well soon. *hug*