Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Switching birth control and PBS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been on loestrin 24 for years. It is an ethinyl estradiol and norethindeone acetate pill with a 4 day break.

I recently switched to a similar generic (Junel / microgestin) because the other was far too expensive under my new insurance. It is supposidely the same two active ingredients, the only difference is there is a 7 day break.

I have never had pms so bad. I am a raging psychopath. I want to punch everybody in the jugular while crying and eating a gallon of ice cream.

If it is the same pull, why am I not acting the same!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my name wrote: »
    I have been on loestrin 24 for years. It is an ethinyl estradiol and norethindeone acetate pill with a 4 day break.

I recently switched to a similar generic (Junel / microgestin) because the other was far too expensive under my new insurance. It is supposidely the same two active ingredients, the only difference is there is a 7 day break.

I have never had pms so bad. I am a raging psychopath. I want to punch everybody in the jugular while crying and eating a gallon of ice cream.

If it is the same pull, why am I not acting the same!

Are the two active ingredients in both sets of pills (your old Loestrin ones and the new generic version) there in the same amount? For example "Each Loestrin 20 (pale blue tablet) contains the active ingredients norethisterone acetate 1mg and ethinylestradiol 20 micrograms. Each Loestrin 30 (green tablet) contains the active ingredients norethisterone acetate 1.5mg and ethinylestradiol 30 micrograms."
    Could it be that the new pills give you a different dose of both active ingredients than you were used to?

Wikipedia (yep...) says "Junel (30mcg ethinylestradiol / 1.5mg norethindrone acetate) is a monophasic combined oral contraceptive pill. It is branded generic made by Barr Pharmaceuticals. Loestrin is the brand name of Junel made by Teva Pharmaceuticals."

This sounds like the new pill you have been given is the same as Loestrin 30. If you were on Loestrin 20, maybe that is where the problem arises?
    It was loestrin 24 which is a 1/20 and now June's 1/20 so the strengths atre the same - that is why I switched to that one.

I never really had a period with the 24 (which is why I loved it) so maybe that means I never really had the pms and this is normal? 24 active/4 iron vs 21 active/7 iron. How shitty :p

I'm going to actually murder somebody. Does midol help with that :p
    Lol at the title - Public Broadcasting Service.
    I was quickly and trying to discreetly type this at work, so I didn't really get the point across I was trying to make, but now I'm home.

It is the same exact pill - supposidly. The only difference being the period break.

Under Loestrin, I almost never had a period. I got quite ravenous for just a couple days during the break, which I attributed to the pms/period (which I suppose is really just the ms, since it was during the break, so no p, but there was no ms...) :p

So my lady hormones are regulated for 24/28 days and I'm all cool. My hormones get 3 extra days to run wild and I turn into a psycho? Is that how it is supposed to work?

I am the nicest person you will ever meet. I had a woman run into me with her cart at the grocery store and roll her eyes and get all snotty. Normal me would have said sorry (even though it wasnt' my fault) and moved on. I told this total stranger to fuck off - and I was so ready to just murder the bitch if she did anything after that.

So I know you can do a lot of things for cramps, bloating, whatever... what can I do to combat that????
    Obviously not textbook here, but if it's the same, any reason to not only just a 4 day break? See if that solves the problem?

I had difference brands of what was dianette a fair while back, and definitely noticed they were slightly different