Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self-harm urges returned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there Sunder,
    Glad you've found us. :)

I've moved this over to the health forum as you've told us you self-harm and this is the place where people post about similar issues.

You say that nothing particularly is going bad in your life at the moment so you're confused as to why the urges have returned - do you think you may have unresolved issues from the past? Did you get any help when things were really bad a year ago? It sounds like you've coped for some time without harming - this is really positive and it may help to consider what has kept you going through this tough time.

Let us know what you think...
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    I'm sorry to hear that JB, I hope you find thesite helpful.
    I was a self harmer too, and occasionally still suffer from depression. Sometimes familiar urges just come out of nowhere, which confuses the hell out of me. It could be unresolved issues from the past, or it could be stress building subconsciously, -maybe something like that. When that happens I try to talk it through, either with someone I trust or to myself. I examine the facts; Has something happened recently? Even something small. What exactly am I feeling? Could it be how my physical health is? -Am I suffering from something that is affecting my hormones?
    I'm not sure how, but I always feel better calmly thinking it through.

Have you had any counselling? Or any other kind of support?
    xx
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey Sunder, that's is an epic reply. Could you do me a favour, and edit that reply and stick in some line breaks. There are a lot of users, me included, who could offer you some help and advice, but find a block of text like that extremely hard to deal with. What I can pick up is that you served with the US forces? And that they did help you with what appears to be related to PTSD. But now you're not getting any treatment?
  • Options
  • Options
    That is loads better, thank you.

Are there ex-servicemen clubs that you could talk to. In the UK there are organisations that support people on their exit from the forces and can help them find the treatment they need to maintain their mental and physical help. Would the US Army continue to support you even after your discharge? Have you asked?
  • Options
    I always feel better letting it out. Don't try to tough it out, we're all human and we all need help sometimes. Talking about how you feel or writing about it, I personally think is a huge help.
    Like Fiend_85 said, it could be worth you looking into any services or advice from the army. And if you can't find any services in your area have you thought about helplines? I know there are some I have found but I think they are just for the UK. But it could be something worth considering. And you always have thesite, that has articles, advice and many who are suffering themselves, so you're not alone.

I understand what you mean about the self harm, it felt good, like the pain wasn't real. Any pain I did feel, was better than being numb, and never hurt as much as the mental pain I was in. So even if others tried to convince me it was wrong, or dangerous, I didn't want to stop.
    I did stop for a long time after getting counselling, must have been about 4 years, but then I had some worrying news to deal with and the depression started taking over again. I started feeling the urges, thinking the same thoughts again, and I knew where they would lead. So before they got worse and went for counselling again, spoke to my doctor and talked to family and friends. Somehow that worked, and I didn't self harm. -I didn't want to be like that again, no matter how good it felt to hurt myself, I shouldn't have to. No-one should feel happy to hurt themselves.

Should you start a new relationship, I think it's best to be honest with the person you like, but not at the beginning. Wait until you know that person, how they feel about you, then when you feel comfortable with each other tell them.
    If that person really cares about you they will try to understand and be supportive.

You're going to get your certification soon, that's fab, congrats. Let us know how you're doing. xx
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    It is awesome, I'm very proud of myself. But I still struggle with the depression every now and then, so I think it's okay to have small slip ups as long as it doesn't go too far. That's when I ask for help.
    It's not impossible for you to have the same record. xx