Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Eight ways to change your life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When life just doesn't feel right any more it's time to do something about it. There's no need to get stuck in a rut or grin and bear it - you can change your life for the better, starting right now. Even the longest and toughest journeys begin with one step, and taken one small step at a time, you'll discover change isn't as daunting as you thought.

1) Be Clear

The key to successful life change is knowing what you really want. And sometimes the best way to be clear about this is to start by being specific about what you know you don't want. Write down all the things you no longer want in your life and the things you'd like to change, then turn them around and alongside each what you do want instead. For instance: I don't want to be overweight = I do want to be slim and healthy. I don't want this job any more = I do want to find my dream job.

2) Think About It

If you transform your way of thinking, you'll transform your life. Every day we all have thousands of thoughts, and a startling number of them are negative! Listen in to what your internal chatter has to say. Are you being your own best friend or worst enemy You spend more time listening to yourself than to anybody else in your life - so make sure you are thinking and saying things that support, motivate and empower you.

3) Imagine

Spend five minutes every morning and night imagining life exactly the way you want it to be. Sit comfortably with your eyes closed and imagine waking up to your perfect day - what would you be dong, who would you be with, where would you be, how would you feel and look? Everything in life begins as a thought so get creaming an image of what you really want, then start taking daily small steps to making it a reality.

4) Good Habits

Take a moment to consider how your habits and routines create your experience of life. Now think of some new habits you can incorporate into your life to create a positive charge. These habits can be small, but if done on a regular basis they will greatly enhance your life. Examples could be to exercise for 20 minutes every day, to do something that will make you laugh, to go to bed half an hour earlier every night. Make some new good habits - and keep them!

5) Great Questions

Don't ask, "Why oh why do things like this always happen to me?" Instead ask questions like. "What can I learn from this?" "What do I really want?" "How can I make the most of this situation?" "If I were guaranteed success what would I now do?" By focusing on what you can learn or change, rather than on negative and self-pitying thoughts - you will allow your mind to open up to new, greater possibilities. By working your way through a problem the way forward will become clearer.

6) Clear The Way

Putting up with little niggles in life is a huge energy drainer. The faulty door handle that sticks, the disorganised and impossible to navigate freezer, the printer that always takes several attempts to get it working right the telephone numbers you can never find, the clothes that need mending (or recycling!), the call you keep putting off making... List the things you are 'making-do' with and commit to tackling one per week until you are clear of all your niggles. You will not only feel good but you'll also be making space for new things to enter into your life.

7) Look Ahead

You wouldn't drive along with most or all of your focus on the rear-view mirror (at least not for long!) - so why do it in life? Many people and so hooked on thoughts of the past that they are unable to see all the opportunities that lie ahead of them. Holding on to the past can be addictive, and like many addictions you may not even be aware you have it. Do you find yourself thinking about the past without even realising you are doing it? Do these thoughts empower or dis-empower you? The past is past - It's time now to look to your future.

8) Daily Joys

Ask yourself what you love doing and what brings you joy. Is it spending time with those you love, maybe sleeping in a clean and clutter-free bedroom, having fresh flowers in your home, or walking outdoors? Whatever it is make time to do more of it. Write a list of you favourite things and be sure to include at least one of them in your life every day. Stop waiting for life to get better and start living it better now. Nurturing yourself by doing the things you actually enjoy is not just life changing for you, but it can also help those around you, too!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Really great thread Sophie.

Very informative for others, :)

I need to think about these 8 points.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Love it, fantastic post :thumb:

Particularly like 'daily joys' It's so easy to forget,

Dp :heart: