Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anyone doing/done a PhD?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm currently doing my MSc and looking at possibly doing a PhD in the future if I ever feel brave enough. I was just wondering if anyone has done/doing one and could tell me a little bit about how they're finding it, what to consider etc.
Thanks!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Look at your reasons for why you want to do one - are you truly passionate about what you'll be studying? Is it large yet focused enough to work on?

And the main bit is to choose a topic that you really really really really really really are keen on. Like, really really keen on.
    Yeah, crazy keen. Something that you're happy to spend 4 or so years studying in crazy detail. Insanely keen, like you'd be ok looking into uses of the word "the" for the next 4 years keen.
    Have you done one? What was it on?
    Neither of us have done one. But I know at least a half dozen people who have.
    I don't think it's something I'll want to do right away, I'd like to go off and work and get some industry experience before thinking of a PhD. I've already spotted a really interesting looking one that is actually under my old dissertation supervisor back at my old uni though! Funding is also a whole other kettle of fish....
    I'm considering doing one. Again, I'm on the need to find a passion side of things.

Generally my understanding is get the right topic and supervisor and the funding follows...
    I've thought about doing one. Though it'd be an Engineering Doctorate by now instead of a PhD. Again, it's about finding something that I give enough of a shit about. I had a lecturer who did his in the mechanics of cutting chocolate.