Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job Interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a job interview tomorrow. I am reading the articles which are verrrry helpful and have some good tips.

They told me the interview will include watching a DVD and answering questions, and then a one-to-one interview with some dude.
Soo what kind of questions should I expect? I have had one interview in the past and totally messed it up, didn't know what to say most of the time and didn't get the job, obviously. The job is for a supermarket working full time which would be perfecto to get a bit of cash in the ole pocket.

Things I'm not too good on are:
- I am nervous enough in normal situations never mind stressful ones!
- Talking about my "strengths" I mean what the hell are strengths anyway? :p
- Sometimes a bit stuttery and talk quiet when I can't get my words out or when I have a total mind blank (often!)
- Find it hard to keep eye contact too, I end up looking off into the distance while talking which really puts people off apparently!

Fire me some questions... (What are good things to say/do? Bad things to say?)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why do you want to work for (Tescburysonsda)?
    *Insert blank face*

I never know what to say when they ask that. I know not to say because I need it :p
    Can you say about wanting to get some experience? Is that good or bad?

I'm so thick I'm doomed already :eek2:
    Think about what they do, and how they do it. Think about the things there that interest you (or you could pretend to be interested in.)
    Yeah good idea, I'm doing a bit of googling on the company so hopefully I'll have something to say!
    An example would be Tesco, they have a really good (so I've heard) management training program (try to avoid saying that those are skills you can take elsewhere, no-one wants to train someone and lose them). Also, there's a good career ladder, form shop floor to team leader, supervisor, store manager etc...
    I get really shy and nervous during interviews too. It may sound weird but at least try to imagine the person interviewing you is a good friend. I'd imagine that firstly they want someone friendly who knows how to smile and isn't going to scare off any customers.

Don't be afraid about the scary pause after they've asked each question. It's better to think about it than rush your answer.

What position are you applying for? Think about what would make you best suited to that role. E.g. on tills Are you friendly and approachable? Pro-active? (e.g. assisting customers with packing)
    And make sure you've got a drink, it helps fill the thinking gap if you're taking a sip of tea or water before answering instead of it seeming awkward.
    Thanks guys, really helpful :)

I'm applying for general assistant, it doesn't say much about it on the website but I guess it's a bit of everything. I suppose I do have some voluntary experience which I could relate it to in some way. It's talking about myself which is going to be the hardest part I think.
    Another common ballache question is "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" also to consider is what to say if they ask you to "tell us about yourself"
    Ah okay. You probably have more to pick from then as you'll be interacting with customers as well as stock rotation, other general duties. Maybe imagine the tasks you'll be doing and saying what skills you have needed to do this tasks. Tap into your voluntary experience too especially if it's people facing or people focussed.

I hate talking about myself too but everyone including the interviewer has to do it. It's just a hoop to jump through to get the job. You won't look stupid for bigging yourself up. Promise!
    Why have you applied for this job, what makes you think you'll be good at it, what can you bring to the team, what are your stregths, what are your weaknesses, tell us a bit about yourself.
    This post made me giggle - purely because I work in recruitment for a supermarket and its exactly the same process as the one you've identified so from a recruiters perspective, I look for:
    -Someone who knows something about the company - nothing big just something small
    -Why you want to work for "x" supermarket and not "y" supermarket
    -A little bit about you - hobbies/interests/work experience/education background
    -I like to know that people are keen to progress with the company - most supermarkets offer great training packages
    -How much do you know about the role you've applied for: General Assistant where I work involves stock replenishment, stock rotation, supporting checkouts during busy trading periods, working as a team, etc
    -I also like someone who makes an effort to ask me decent questions at the end, including;
    What progression opportunities are there with the company? What training will I be offered? Etc :)
    In terms of the nerves - it is ok to say sorry I'm a little nervous - in fact I like it when someone tells me so I can make them feel more at ease...but then maybe I'm a big softie!!
    Good Luck with it :) I hope it goes well :)
    This post made me giggle - purely because I work in recruitment for a supermarket and its exactly the same process as the one you've identified so from a recruiters perspective, I look for:
    -Someone who knows something about the company - nothing big just something small
    -Why you want to work for "x" supermarket and not "y" supermarket
    -A little bit about you - hobbies/interests/work experience/education background
    -I like to know that people are keen to progress with the company - most supermarkets offer great training packages
    -How much do you know about the role you've applied for: General Assistant where I work involves stock replenishment, stock rotation, supporting checkouts during busy trading periods, working as a team, etc
    -I also like someone who makes an effort to ask me decent questions at the end, including;
    What progression opportunities are there with the company? What training will I be offered? Etc :)
    In terms of the nerves - it is ok to say sorry I'm a little nervous - in fact I like it when someone tells me so I can make them feel more at ease...but then maybe I'm a big softie!!
    Good Luck with it :) I hope it goes well :)

Thanks WhiteLillies! Really interesting and helpful to hear from someone who actually does the hiring. Its at 2pm so its soooon! I'm really nervous but I think its going to be ok :)
    good luck :)
    hmmm7 wrote: »
    Thanks WhiteLillies! Really interesting and helpful to hear from someone who actually does the hiring. Its at 2pm so its soooon! I'm really nervous but I think its going to be ok :)

Good luck, and remember you can only do your best, hope it goes well :)
    Have you heard yet??? Hope my tips were somewhat useful!?!
    They've asked me to go back in and give them some more ID (I had to order a birth certificate) because they need to see it before offering me a job, but its looking good! They wouldn't ask me to bring in ID if they weren't going to offer me it would they?!
    The interview itself went really well, not too many awkward questions and not actually as bad as I thought it would be!

Thanks everyone for the tips, you were all very helpful and it was better than I expected :d
    glad it went well :D i hope you get it!
    Sounds promising :D I have my fingers (and toes) crossed for you! :D
    hmmm7 wrote: »
    They've asked me to go back in and give them some more ID (I had to order a birth certificate) because they need to see it before offering me a job, but its looking good! They wouldn't ask me to bring in ID if they weren't going to offer me it would they?!
    The interview itself went really well, not too many awkward questions and not actually as bad as I thought it would be!

Thanks everyone for the tips, you were all very helpful and it was better than I expected :d

Prod, so how did it go? ;)
    I know, I know!!! :p
    So fucking spill!
    She got it!!! :D

(Sorry hmmm!!!)
    Booooooom!!!
    I was doing the long pause for dramatic effect :p

I'm waiting for a phonecall about an induction, (RING YOU DAMNED PHONE THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME) so yeah I have got it pretty much :d
    Well done, I hope we were helpful.
    Yes very helpful, thank you all so much!

Okay so it wasn't a phonecall I was waiting for, I just received this email...

Following on from your recent interview, we are delighted to confirm that you have been successful in your application. Please call blah-de-blah to confirm start date.

:hyper: :d
    Nice one!! :thumb:
    Wooohoooo! :yippe: Congratulations :d :thumb:
    Can't tell you how proud I am of you :-)

The first of many triumphs awaiting you I'm sure :-D

:heart: