Home Politics & Debate
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here

Who's watching the VP Debate tonight? What are you expecting?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
First off, I'm not trying to get into a political debate about parties or politics, etc. :no: I'm just wondering what your expecting 'debate' wise from Biden and Ryan?

I'm thinking Biden will take this debate hands down. He has that cockyness about him and he always seems comfortable in a debate type atmosphere. Ryan has the 'cockyness' as well, but in a young cocky kind of way... like the old saying goes, you can't beat experience.

Romney hammered Obama last week but I think Biden gets even tonight.

So whatcha think?

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It would be funny, if it wasn't real
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It would be funny, if it wasn't real

    WTH does that mean?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    nobody watching the debate? .... geezz.. come on people!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JoeLeeFTW wrote: »
    nobody watching the debate? .... geezz.. come on people!

    We're a UK based website.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We're a UK based website.


    lol, good point. :blush:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you reasonably expect non-Americans (the vast majority of users on this website) to care about domestic U.S. affairs when it doesn't affect the rest of us? We only really take an interest in major affairs like the U.S. economy and it's foreign policy, because that can affect us.

    That would be like if I went on a U.S.-based forum and asked everyone what they thought of UK benefits reforms or who should be the next leader of the Leader/Conservative Party, I suspect I would quickly get replies asking me what the hell I was on about or being politely informed that Americans don't care for domestic British politics.

    Not being rude, just honest.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JoeLeeFTW wrote: »
    WTH does that mean?

    That this is how the 3rd most powerful nation in the world selects its leaders
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You cant say you dont want to get into a debate about politics, then ask straight off about a political debate!

    I didnt watch the debate live but I have seen some highlights, and a few reviews / political commentary on it, which oddly vasty disagreed. Biden seemed to me to be the cool grandad you would never mind having around. Ryan, whilst acting a little normal, still looked like he was trying to hard to be something that too many people know he isnt.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Haven't seen much. However, when one side starts criticising the style of the other, it's pretty obvious who won on substance.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I listened to it on the radio. It was entertaining. Sort of like a verbal boxing match.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I will never understand why seemingly so many Americans expect people from other countries to give a rat's arse about US affairs. Do they care about ours? No f'ing way.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    CM Punk wrote: »
    I will never understand why seemingly so many Americans expect people from other countries to give a rat's arse about US affairs. Do they care about ours? No f'ing way.

    This might be because the US has a great deal more power in the world than we do.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Let me rephrase that - do they care about any other country's affairs? No.

    Even if they do have more power than us, why should they assume we care about their politics? In all honesty I've never overheard anyone discussing what the Yanks are doing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    CM Punk wrote: »
    Let me rephrase that - do they care about any other country's affairs? No.

    If the other country has a supply of oil they care... ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If the other country has a supply of oil they care... ;)

    Interesting you say that, if in the future the US decides to get involved in a conflict with a country which has no oil supply whatsoever, what will the conspiracy theorists have to argue against then?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Interesting you say that, if in the future the US decides to get involved in a conflict with a country which has no oil supply whatsoever, what will the conspiracy theorists have to argue against then?

    Much oil in Vietnam?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sure there was talk of it many many years ago ie suspected oil fields off the coast of Indo-China.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I realize that this website is nearly all English speaking Europeans and I acknowledge that people tend not to pay very close attention to the politics of other nations. Incidently, I've occationally visited this board through the years, in-fact, do just that but I realize that my grasp on foreign politics is limited and tend to confine myself to threads realated to the U.S.A.

    That being said I'm a little surprised that (some) people who read and contribute to the politics section of a discussion board would have such an averse reaction to someone bringing up a political debate taking place in another English speaking country. If you are dissinteressed don't comment, or by all means state your dissinterest, but the semi-accusitory tone of offence strikes me as unnecessary. At best such reactions discourage civil discourse, at worst they scare off new contributers to the politics board which (lets face it) has seen more lively days.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    True this ^^^

    It underlines a general anti-US feeling which is a shame really because they are our closest cousins in reality.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cheaper to buy the oil.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I realize that this website is nearly all English speaking Europeans and I acknowledge that people tend not to pay very close attention to the politics of other nations. Incidently, I've occationally visited this board through the years, in-fact, do just that but I realize that my grasp on foreign politics is limited and tend to confine myself to threads realated to the U.S.A.

    That being said I'm a little surprised that (some) people who read and contribute to the politics section of a discussion board would have such an averse reaction to someone bringing up a political debate taking place in another English speaking country. If you are dissinteressed don't comment, or by all means state your dissinterest, but the semi-accusitory tone of offence strikes me as unnecessary. At best such reactions discourage civil discourse, at worst they scare off new contributers to the politics board which (lets face it) has seen more lively days.

    My reaction was based on a seemingly common approach on internet forums by many Americans that the rest of the world has obvious interest and knowledge about US affairs.

    I wonder how many Americans know who Nick Clegg is?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    CM Punk wrote: »
    My reaction was based on a seemingly common approach on internet forums by many Americans that the rest of the world has obvious interest and knowledge about US affairs.

    I wonder how many Americans know who Nick Clegg is?

    I wonder how many British people care who he is ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My reaction was based on a seemingly common approach on internet forums by many Americans that the rest of the world has obvious interest and knowledge about US affairs.

    It would seem the OP didn't realize this is a UK based site. And even assuming they did know this was a UK based site, is it at all unreasonable to assume that people in a politics forum might have an interest in a political debate taking place in another English speaking country? I don't believe it to be unreasonable.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rather than my giving what I think is an obvious answer, tell me what you think the response would be if I randomly chose a US-based discussion forum and asked what its users thought were the success/failures of the coalition.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    CM Punk wrote: »
    Rather than my giving what I think is an obvious answer, tell me what you think the response would be if I randomly chose a US-based discussion forum and asked what its users thought were the success/failures of the coalition.

    They'd tell you about Cleggers, the signer of giant, novelty pledges. His flipty-flopping has international appeal.

    clegg-fees-pledge.jpg

    Looolz.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Famous pop star too.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I could have forgiven him if he hadn't rubbed salt in the wound by doubling down on his fuckery by telling people tripling their fees was actually good for them.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's useless to make an appeal to civility when your opponent insists they are not being uncivil. At such a point the conversation just turns into a spitting match. In light of this fact; I concede, wash my hands of it, and walk away.
Sign In or Register to comment.